remember the gut who got caught at 156mph ?

Associate
but my car doesnt use much less fuel at 70 than it does at 80. you use the most fuel under acceleration, so i fail to see how that would make much of a difference... when was that changed? im interested, id never heard about that before.

Soldato
Originally posted by Matteh
but my car doesnt use much less fuel at 70 than it does at 80. you use the most fuel under acceleration, so i fail to see how that would make much of a difference... when was that changed? im interested, id never heard about that before.

Sorry what I wrote wasnt quite correct IIRC the limit was 80mph but was then temporarily reduced to 50mph during a fuel shortage but was then increased to 70mph instead of back up to 80mph. Cant remember the year but if I can find it I'll post it.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Dogbreath
A modern car at 90mph, (assuming it weighs 50% more than the Anglia, conservative estimate) will have 330% more energy to get rid of than the Anglia at 60mph. Irrespective of crumple zones and airbags, a 90mph collision is very unlikely to be survivable. On balance I think I'd take the Anglia (assuming it's in good condtion), although neither of these scenario's is likely to be good for your health.

I find it virtually impossible to beleive a crash in a 40 year old car with zero safety features whatsoever is safer than a crash in a modern car travelling at 30mph faster. The Anglia has less energy to get rid of, but also where is it's crumple zone? Yup - the passenger compartment!

Associate
im afraid im going to have to go with fox on this one, id rather not have to be in either situation, but give me a modern car with safety features any day...

Permabanned
What is more likely to get you killed - crashing at 60mph in a Ford Anglia - 10mph below the limit set years ago, or crashing at 90mph in a modern car with airbags etc?

And what about the people you crash into (assuming you're responsible)? at 90mph they're likely to be killed, at 70 they might have had a chance. It's not just your own safety, it's that of those around you as well.

Associate
look, cre8tive, as mentioned above, if you hit someone at 70 who is stationary / moving a lot slower than you, then you will be lucky to survive no matter what you are in or what they are in. like wise if you hit one of the tanks that fell of that lorry, 70mph or 90mph, old car or new car, your probably dead. accidents unfortunatly happen, and even more unfortunatly people die in some of these accidents. it would be safer for us all if we walked everywhere but thats not going to happen.

thinking about it, variable speed limits are a good idea, but at quiet times ( like 3.am when no one is on the road) they could be pushed up to 80, 90 maybe even 100 assuming it is safe to do so and at times when it isnt safe they should be operated as they are currently.

Associate
we should have variable limits ie 90 in the dry 70 in the wet and variable when there is heavy traffic it works in france and they have incredably low amounts of deaths on their motorways compared to most european countries

Soldato
None of us are perfect, and we all make mistakes, but it never ceases to amaze me, how many drivers ( mainly those attempting to justify speeding ) feel that they know best when it comes to assessing road conditions etc.

As I said in my earlier post, over estimation of one’s ability or blindly believing that the technology will be as effective in real life conditions as it is reported from controlled tests is far too common: People tend to be over confident and even arrogant: One may, or may not be justified in believing that one can get out of hypothetical situations, but, as we all know, when we have a near miss, it’s usually something we weren’t expecting.
We are all arrogant when we talk of all “ the other loonies “ on the road; sometimes it’s us!

I know that I’m in a small minority, but I would be very happy to see automatic speed control using GPS/transponder type stuff; please don’t give me all the so called arguments about being able to accelerate out of trouble, I’ve been driving for 35 years and I can only remember one occasion when I actually did it, and that was on a motorbike.

Believe it or not, I’m not looking for an argument here; I’m just trying to point out how fallible we all are, no matter how good we think we are.

Associate
im not a perfect driver, far from it, and i havent been driving very long either so im inexperienced, and i probably have done some stuff that to other people might seem stupid, i wont deny that. however to me basic things like use of indicators and the 2 second rule etc. are basic things that should always be used. just because you drive quickly doesnt make you a wreckless driver.i definatly think variable limits are the way to go, i had to drive to my dads this morning because the burglar alarm was going off, and they are on holiday. thats a couple of junctions down the A3, and a couple round the m25. at 2.25am i saw probably about 4 other cars on the A3, and maybe a dozen on the m25. i could have gone a lot faster than i was going, and i was speeding a bit as it was (85mph). comng back i saw even less cars, and i still think that i could have gone faster safely. there is a limit to all this, i wouldnt want to see limits higher than 100mph. i suppose its all swings and roundabouts really, people will always speed. last night i still had someone go past me at god knows what speed, i reckon he was doing 140 in some sports car and he shot past me (i was in the inside lane doing 90 i think) and he was off in the distance in no time. thats stupid if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom