Remote desktop and VPN

Guv

Guv

Soldato
I have a vpn connection to my office network and my pc at work is enabled for remote desktop.

Our office network uses the IP address 192.168.0.x

At home I use 10.0.0.x

Connection to the vpn and remote desktop pc works fine from home. However, when I'm at clients and they also use the IP addresses 192.168.0.x I can connect to the vpn but not my work pc using remote desktop.

Is there any easy setting to change to ensure the remote desktop connection looks at pc's on the vpn and not local network? Presumably this is the issue?

Thanks

Soldato
With the same subnet at both ends it isn't going to know which traffic needs routing over the VPN. You may get away with adding a static route to force the appropriate traffic over the VPN.

If you're going to be connecting from other networks like this on a regular basis it could be worth changing your office network to a less common subnet.

Soldato
Install Jump Desktop - you can ignore the VPN then, as it creates it's own secure channel. Don't even need a static IP, just and email/password to set up.
You can buy it for android/iphone, or just go to their website and download the desktop software which includes a viewer app

Back
Top Bottom