1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

remote desktop lan gaming?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by iviv, 12 May 2010.

1. iviv

Soldato

We know about OnLive, which will soon allow people to play games over the internet using netbooks and the like, as all the processing is done on a remote PC and sent over the internet where it displays the game. Essentially, its like streaming a movie, just with slight input lag since everything has to go to the remote PC and then back to yours.

Anyway, I'm looking for a way to do it more locally. I have a powerful PC sitting upstairs, and a media PC hooked up to my TV that's not really meaty enough to deal with most games. But given the bandwidth of wireless internet is enough to let me stream movies to the TV, it shouldn't be too hard to steam games either, right?

The obvious options are remote desktop programs, but obviously these are designed around functionallity rather than hitting 60fps in TF2, but are there any options out there that would let me play games over a LAN like this?

2. Antar Bolaeisk

Sgarrista

You could use some form of KVM switch for this depending on just how far away the tv is, of course such a solution would require extra wiring.

3. Yamahahahahaha

Mobster

4. krooton

Caporegime

5. iviv

Soldato

Ooh, that could well do it. Shame its a pay monthy thing, but still, $20 for a year isn't too bad, especially as it would even let me do it over the internet. I'll be looking into that now and give the free version a run now. Thanks :D