Remote PC access from anywhere

Associate
I want to be able to remotely access a PC I have at home, which is on 24/7 from work or anywhere; encrypted, undetectably and securely. I want the connection to be like attended: Eg, it seems like I am sitting at my remote PC.

I have just upgraded my internet connection, here in Germany to VDSL which is giving me 50Mbit/s downlink and 10 Mbit/s uplink.

My remote PC is currently XP based. From this PC I can remote desktop into other PC's and servers I have. So I can fully control everything from this one machine.

I could change the OS on this remote PC to anything, so XP is not a requirement. I could even build a new remote PC if needed.

What do I need to have?

DynDNS? My IP address seems to be permanent until I reboot my router.

Sorry if I sound a noob here, but I just dont no where to begin.

Basically my current issue is the company I work for has started blocking websites and things like websites for gaming. Which is annoying.

So I was thinking I could tunnel into my remote PC and browse etc from there.

Associate
http://www.bitvise.com/winsshd

Set up WinSSHD
SSH to the WinSSHD install using PuTTy, and set up a tunnel
RDP to the port you set up the tunnel on
Job Done :D

And yes, you could use DynDNS for your IP, just in case it changes and you want on! :)

(I'll write up a better description than that soon :p)

OR:

Set up your home PC as a proxy?

Associate
Would logmein or one of the other Citrix client based companys do the trick with little effort ?

Beaten to it :p

Teamviewer is also very good btw.

Soldato
using vnc over ssh would be secure and free
no idea what its like on windows thou

ssh and vnc and pretty much built into linux if u prefered to use that
depending on what u do on the pc

Associate
using vnc over ssh would be secure and free
no idea what its like on windows thou

ssh and vnc and pretty much built into linux if u prefered to use that
depending on what u do on the pc

VNC can be sloooow though - which I believe Teamviewer and LogMeIn both use? I could be wrong though

Associate
I doubt that anything you do will be undetectable though.. They'll still see an encrypted connection outbound to your home isp or vpn provider..

... Get a smartphone with a data package? Remove the work computer from the equation :)

Associate
OP
I doubt that anything you do will be undetectable though.. They'll still see an encrypted connection outbound to your home isp or vpn provider..

... Get a smartphone with a data package? Remove the work computer from the equation :)

Yes I was thinking exactly the same thing. The company I work for takes network security very very seriously indeed. It has probably one of the worlds most sophisticated networks and monitoring systems.

They could easily detect an encrypted connection and I guess they could just view my screen remotely etc. The only positive thing, is that under German law they cant stop you using the internet for personal use etc. But they have put block lists recently in place.

I have a netbook, hspa+ usb stick and also a smartphone with can act as a wi fi hot spot. Only problem is the company RF screens a lot of the rooms, including windows, I work in, so mobile signals are sporadic to say the least.

But I did try Teamviewer and it works very well on my home network. So I guess that is a coffee shop, way of controlling my PC at home.

Back
Top Bottom