1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove paint from GPU shroud?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by demonic186, 19 Aug 2018.

1. demonic186

Associate

Wasn't 100% which area to post this under but as title says does anyone know a safe (ish) way to remove generic spray paint from a plastic GPU shroud?

I painted my R9 390 nitro shroud orange a little over a year ago when I had it in an orange/white portal themed build but have now grown a little bored of that and would like to get it back to plain black if possible?

I had even considered just buying a spares/repair card and using the shroud from that but funds are tight and people seem to want stupid money for a dead card :D:p

2. Rob Turbo

Gangster

Paint it black?

3. Skorpion

Hitman

Use dettol and a toothbrush. Plenty of newspaper and old rags. Wash off after with warm soapy water ;)

4. LuckyBenski

Mobster

Does Dettol really remove paint?! I'm surprised.

All the solvents that remove proper spray paint have a good chance of melting plastic too. I'd buy a cheap can of black and paint it again.

5. Skorpion

Hitman

The original stuff used to on my airfix models, not sure about modern dettol sprays and worktop cleaners though :)

6. demonic186

Associate

Can't hurt to try it I guess, if all else fails it will be disinfected and squeaky clean! if it doesn't work I'll go with sanding it and painting black again I guess.

7. new boy

Mobster

Paint tends to be perminant, if you want to strip it off and have it look like it did before you painted it, then I think you are going to be disappointed.