removing french doors and leaving frame

Don
want to remove some French doors from between living room and dining room

how do I make good the hinge cut outs? (just filler or cut some wood?)

also want to remove the bit the doors shut against (know idea what its called) is it just a case of getting a chisel behind it, see pic

Ta

P9iZG0L.jpg

Soldato
I would glue in some bits of wood where the hinges are, make them slightly proud and then sand them flush. You can use some wood glue mixed with some fine sawdust to fill in any small gaps.

With regards to the door 'stops', don't use your chisels to do that. A firm filling knife will do. You could cut in to the corner with a Stanley blade to aid the process. Start from the bottom and it should make it easy to pull off.

Associate
The stops - it depends if they are planted on or part of the frame.

If planted on should be easy to remove, but if not planted and they are part of the frame would need to cut them off somehow and would be really hard to get a decent finish, would almost be better removing the frame entirely and doing a traditional plaster reveal.

Don
OP
The stops - it depends if they are planted on or part of the frame.

If planted on should be easy to remove, but if not planted and they are part of the frame would need to cut them off somehow and would be really hard to get a decent finish, would almost be better removing the frame entirely and doing a traditional plaster reveal.

its a 20yr old house so I doubt they would be part of the frame as I assume just adding them on is easier

Don
OP
I would glue in some bits of wood where the hinges are, make them slightly proud and then sand them flush. You can use some wood glue mixed with some fine sawdust to fill in any small gaps.

With regards to the door 'stops', don't use your chisels to do that. A firm filling knife will do. You could cut in to the corner with a Stanley blade to aid the process. Start from the bottom and it should make it easy to pull off.

thanks

Soldato
I always just use a decent quality filler to sort the hinge gaps. Removing the stops is a breeze with a hammer and chisel. But might be worth running a Stanley knife along the edges first so you get a clean break in the paint though.

Don
OP
I always just use a decent quality filler to sort the hinge gaps. Removing the stops is a breeze with a hammer and chisel. But might be worth running a Stanley knife along the edges first so you get a clean break in the paint though.

just a (wood) filler and no pieces of wood? will do re the knife

Thanks

Soldato
just a (wood) filler and no pieces of wood? will do re the knife

Thanks

Hinge recess shouldn't be too deep, so a decently thick wood filler will do the job. If it sags a little you can always add a bit more after it's dry. Will sand down well and paint over.

The stops will be nailed on and will come away with a bit of leverage.

Soldato
Personally I'd always infill a hinge with a small strip of timber then fill any remaining gaps. It can of course be done with filler alone so I suppose it's more personal preference.

Soldato
those door stops are most likely just panelled pinned on, just score the paint with a sharp blade Stanley knife and priase them off being careful to not dig into the frame.

The problem then is, you'll most likely reveal the frame mount screws - lets hope the previous builder countersunk them deep enough to get filler into them

Personally I find removing doors and leaving the frame to look total naff, even after removing the door stops and architrave as you can always see its where a door was. But, to remove the frame and then board and skim - even though looks superior is a lot more effort, even more so to board and skim and feather into the existing wall both sides and then you'll need to repaint the walls - so yeah just remove the door stops and use thin wood to fill in hinges and fill screw holes and around the implanted wood for hinges , sand and paint.

Don
OP
those door stops are most likely just panelled pinned on, just score the paint with a sharp blade Stanley knife and priase them off being careful to not dig into the frame.

The problem then is, you'll most likely reveal the frame mount screws - lets hope the previous builder countersunk them deep enough to get filler into them

Personally I find removing doors and leaving the frame to look total naff, even after removing the door stops and architrave as you can always see its where a door was. But, to remove the frame and then board and skim - even though looks superior is a lot more effort, even more so to board and skim and feather into the existing wall both sides and then you'll need to repaint the walls - so yeah just remove the door stops and use thin wood to fill in hinges and fill screw holes and around the implanted wood for hinges , sand and paint.

thanks, agree it did look naff, if we decide to progress we will probably remove the whole wall

Permabanned
Personally I'd always infill a hinge with a small strip of timber then fill any remaining gaps. It can of course be done with filler alone so I suppose it's more personal preference.

I do this. Just glue in pieces of wood in to the slots, dowel in any holes. Wait for it all to set then plane or sand it all nice and smooth. It's about as quick as filling and a far better repair job.

Back
Top Bottom