Removing hot glue gun glue?!

Permabanned
Hi,

I have to remove a fair bit of glue from a component as shown below:

img5832uy6.jpg

The circular black thing is plastic and contains electronics, the wires are rubber shielded. It is inside a carbon fibre helmet.

I would normally use a knife, and have tried for an hour or so, but it's so hard to get to I gave up. The glue has dried fairly solid, too.

Are there any miracle solutions? No one say mustard please.

Thanks!

Caporegime
get your kettle fill it up, turn it on and then leave the lip open. Will stay boiling and not stop stick knife in to keep warm cut a little bit, warm knife, cut a little bit. etc etc

Might be easier to use the hob if you've got a gas one.

Associate
Are you sure that is hot glue and not epoxy?

I remove hot glue with my micro butane torch or immersing the piece in hot water. The secret to removing hot glue is to get it warm, not so it melts but so it is plyable.

Permabanned
OP
I was scared to use water because of the electronics.

It may be epoxy. How do I find out?

Hair dryer is an awesome idea. I love this place.

Permabanned
OP
Fraid not, I've been flicking tiny bits of glue with a penknife for ages!

It's quite easy to damage the helmet with a knife too, if you slip and stab the point in it will go straight through!

Associate
If it is either epoxy or hot glue, then you are gonna have to heat it up to around 200oC. A hair dryer won't cut the mustard.

Ideally it needs to be plyable to work with.

Try and heat up the tip of a flat bladed screw driver. If it melts the glue then it is hot glue, if not you have expoxy.

Brute force can work too. Try to prize a corner up, then using some needle nose plyers try to pull the rest up.

I amlost forgot. I have removed expoxy and hot glue by getting the stuff really cold. Pop the piece in the freezer for a while and the glue should fracture when you try and remove it.

Soldato
Bare in mind that most of the above suggestions could compromise the lacquer and/or epoxy that is injected into the weave of the helmet.

Avoid solvents. The best chance you have without likely damaging the helmet is to use hot water/gentle heating from a hair dryer. If it's epoxy, you won't get it hot enough without damaging the helmet. If it's hot melt glue, it should come of quite easily.

Permabanned
OP
I wouldn't fiddle around with that peice of kit if I were you...

Lol...

I DID IT!!! Yay.

Heated my knife in boiling water and continued to pick pieces off, wasn't really getting anywhere. It's definately not epoxy though.

Tried brute force - used the hook on my penknife, got it through the hole on the side (I only wanted the top off - I'm trying to install this: http://www.gethypoxic.com/manufacturers/get_hypoxic/expansionkit.htm ) and BANG!!! the top flys off, the electronics are sitting on the bottom of the helmet hanging on the end of a wire, and I'm sure I've broken it.

Tested it and it all works OK, I've installed the extra part and it all does what it's supposed to do!

Cheers for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom