Removing Thunderflies from your monitor screen

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Had a dead one stuck in the top right hand corner of my rog swift. Spent today feeling sadface.

Did a quick search and came across the novel idea of attaching a suction cup to the screen, pulling it gently, and tapping the side of the monitor til it fell away.

It worked. Happyface!

Hope this helps others in this bug infested season!

Associate
At least you know how to remove them now. I've seen loads around this week here, but none in the monitor thankfully.

Edit: by saying that, I've probably doomed myself now.

Soldato
Right, it looks like one has decided to die in the middle of my screen! I remember this happening a while back (+5 years) to a Dell LCD monitor I had and they actually replaced it for me... don't imagine Benq will want to do the same?

The monitor is just over a year old. I seriously thought the manufacturing processes had improved in that time but obviously not!

@OP, can I ask where you got said suction cup from? Thinking that might be worth a shot, I can't put up with this, it's staring me in the face :mad:

Soldato
Right, it looks like one has decided to die in the middle of my screen! I remember this happening a while back (+5 years) to a Dell LCD monitor I had and they actually replaced it for me... don't imagine Benq will want to do the same?

The monitor is just over a year old. I seriously thought the manufacturing processes had improved in that time but obviously not!

@OP, can I ask where you got said suction cup from? Thinking that might be worth a shot, I can't put up with this, it's staring me in the face :mad:

I would imagine the bay of fleas has them.

Soldato
What are they getting inbetween anyway? I thought what faces you is the front of the display. I thought it was only the glass fronted monitors that had something over the lcd panel? Looking on youtube, most disassembly videos on youtube seems like there is nothing in front either?

Do they get inbetween the panel and backlight?

D3K

D3K

Soldato
OP
You don't wanna know where I got mine from, but you can get them in pound shops with items for hanging stuff on bath room or kitchen tiles

What are they getting inbetween anyway? I thought what faces you is the front of the display. I thought it was only the glass fronted monitors that had something over the lcd panel? Looking on youtube, most disassembly videos on youtube seems like there is nothing in front either?

Do they get inbetween the panel and backlight?
I think you're right. Part of reason I couldn't tell if it was a bug or not at fist, was that it looked pixellated at different angles. So it must have been behind the panel and in front of the back light.

Soldato
There's some risk involved in using this suction method, surely? What worries me is that I'll actually damage the monitor... If I was to flog it now I'd probably get a fairly good price for it with just the one fly resident but if I damage it in the process it's worthless :(

So annoying.

Soldato
Have you tried the torch method? Bugs love light. So leave the monitor over night with a torch pointing at the corner of the screen. If it's still alive then it will migrate to the edge at least.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
OP
There's some risk involved in using this suction method, surely? What worries me is that I'll actually damage the monitor... If I was to flog it now I'd probably get a fairly good price for it with just the one fly resident but if I damage it in the process it's worthless :(

So annoying.

Zero damage to mine. I oriented the monitor so that the bug was closest to the bottom, then very gently pulled the suction cup while tapping the side of the bezel.

They crawl around so freely that there's plenty space for them, they just need a tiny bit more if they die.

For me it was worth the risk. I'd feel a little depressed every time I turned the screen on and saw the dirty black streak it was making. If I broke it I'd be forced to buy a new one.

Asa

Asa

Associate
Lol I didn't know this was a common issue. I have one stuck in the monitor I'm using right now, it's been there for about 4 years. I think it's probably a permanent fixture by now, but I'll give this a go.

Associate
Just had this issue on my 42" Sony TV, i didnt even know of the term until the engineer who came around said it wasnt dead pixels and actually a bug...i thought he was kidding to start of with!!. Anyway they wont do anything under warranty as its not an issue with the screen itself!

I would try the suction cup method but as i though it was a dead pixel to start of with so i was tapping and pushing it so its probably squashed against the screen now and now way of removing!!. S

I would have though these would decompose after about 6 months or so though and just disappear??

Soldato
Ha, maybe its a Sony thing as I've just noticed one in my 32"... When they're alive you can switch off your set and they usually seem to find their own way out! Pain in the ass tbh, you'd have thought manufactures would have got wise to it now but obviously not.

Associate
I would have though these would decompose after about 6 months or so though and just disappear??

Decomposition requires bacteria - and bacteria need water. There's not really much water inside of the TV :D The bug's carapace takes a while to decompose even in humid environment. Don't expect one to decompose inside of a TV anytime soon.

Associate
What is this freak fly you guys have in the UK that goes inside your monitor? I have never heard of such a thing. Here in Canada our flies are polite, just like our people. Any time a fly comes into your house it flies around saying "Sorry. So sorry. really I apologize." until it can find an exit.

Back
Top Bottom