1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renting if you have pets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raumarik, 9 Mar 2010.

1. Raumarik

Capodecina

Anyone renting with a pet? We're thinking about flogging our flat and moving area but renting to get the feel for the town etc for 6 months. We have two cats though so I'm guessing it might be a problem.

Would it just take a larger deposit usually? Quite happy to get the place professionally cleaned once we move and hopefully it won't be furnished.

2. gavindo

Gangster

i rent and i find most places seem to not mind if you have a cat :)

3. lbratch

Gangster

Did anybody else read it like that?

4. VirtualAdept

Mobster

Mate, I've got four cats and a dog... it was a bit of a struggle finding somewhere to begin with, but if you perhaps offer a bigger deposit, or agree to inspection after a month instead of three, you'll probably get somewhere

5. Third Opinion

Soldato

Very difficult, considering a lot of landlords now are stating no children. To rent nowadays you are meant to be a professional couple, who don't cook, smoke, drink or spend much time in the property.

6. Raumarik

Capodecina

Cheers folks, might mean a bit of searching but I'll keep me fingers crossed!

7. Third Opinion

Soldato

Try looking in private adds rather than letting agents. I remember when I tried to to rent my place out the letting agent said they wouldn't take it on if I allowed pets.

8. MrMoonX

PermaBanned

they do try to say no children but good luck kicking you out if you have them anyway, you are guaranteed a human right to a family life and these are deemed unfair contracts thats why in the tenancy it says no children (unless landlords permission is gained which will not normally be withheld)