1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replace 2xSamsung F3's with a Caviar Black 2TB

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by Flanno, 15 Apr 2010.

1. Flanno

Mobster

As in title, I am thinking of replacing the 2 F3's with a single 2TB Caviar Black, even a Green model, as I use the hard drives for storage (mp3's, divx etc..), and downloads. So speed is probably not important. SDD's are used for OS and Games.

Just wondering if anyone out there has used the 2TB Black. Is it noisy ? Reviews online seem mixed.

2. d_brennen

Capodecina

I put one in a NAS for a friend and it was quite enough to sit under the telly without drawing attention to itself. I had read about it (but didn't choose the drive) so was a little concerned. Definatly makes a bit more noise than my Samsung F3s (and Seagate 7200.12s before).

Different people experiance noise differently I guess

Last edited: 15 Apr 2010
  3. AbsenceJam

Mobster

The Black would be a pretty mental purchase. You can get 2x 2TB F3 EcoGreens for that price which are very quiet drives and more than fast enough for storage and general use.

4. el Kuarlos

Hitman

wouldnt bother...with the new storage format that is coming out there will probably be a jump in drive performance, not major, but would justify a lot more changing two of the best drives out there.

As is with your proposition, dont, it would cost a lot and do no good.

5. Vesta_Man

PermaBanned

Depends if you value the integrity of the DATA to be stored?!?
    WD build the best quality and most reliable HD's imho, and are more comparable to SCSI drive build quality.
    Samsung however may produce fast drives but they have a poor build quality with a shocking reliability record. (From extensive personal experience)

I only buy WD drives and certain Seagate drives, wouldn't buy a sammy drive if I was paid.

6. unknownsock

Wise Guy

Actually there was a survey done a while back, and all HDD manufacturers had about the same RMA rate.

7. mattgal

Gangster

i had a samsung 20.1GB drive back in the Pentium3 days. Still works like a dream. had a 200GB seagate for 4yrs and it failed.

only option is samsung or WD. WD Black are quire known for heat and noise so i went with the F3 and i don't regret anything.

8. Flanno

Mobster

I guess I'll soldier on with the F3's.

Ta.

9. darkwildchild79

Hitman

do like your system specs what are running on it?? what is it main focus??

10. Atom

Wise Guy

Agreed.. Samsung and reliability don't go in the same sentence..

11. darkwildchild79

Hitman

well i would say it is a person preference, because i have never had a samsung failed, but i have had a western digital raptor X and seagate failed, not like it would stop me recommending them to anyone

12. tbh

Wise Guy

I have seen that also, however as they say "once bitten, twice shy".

13. no idea what

Capodecina

I have a Samsung F3 and it's been very good so far. I will always love WD drives though, never have I ever had one fail. Seagate drives, well, I've had 3 of them fail! :(

14. Mr. May

Mobster

WD all the way got 3x 250gb which have seen 8 years hard work and still run like a dream

15. Frenzy

Soldato

Ive never had samsungs fail on me, ive had multiple western digitals fail on me. As the others say, its down to personal experience.

16. Netvyper

Hitman

Had several WDs, Several Seagates, Many IBM/Hitachis, and 1 samsung fail (DoA) on me.
    Its all much of a muchness; I've just gone from Sammy F1s to WD Greens in my fileserver, but running a 500GB F3 as my system disk; all seem fine.