1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

replace h-50 thermal paste?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by cyclonus10, 7 Mar 2010.

1. cyclonus10

Hitman

just read about p55 boards and the foxconn socket, only recently put my h-50 onto my asus p7p55d le mobo and i know that i saw foxconn on the underside of my mobo while i was attaching the back plate.
    i will have to remove my h50 to see what socket i have and was wondering how much arctic silver 5 to put on cpu after i check out the socket.
    i have read that the method has to be slightly different due to the way the cooling plate is pushed and twisted into place.
    is arctic silver 5 even a good thing to use with h-50?
    read so many different posts on the web, still none the wiser tbh

any help would be great, thanks

2. Strawberry

Hitman

Twisting the block doesn't negatively effect performance pretty much regardless of method used. It actually helps to remove air bubbles.

Just apply a pea-sized dot in the middle and squeeze it out. If you look around the first page you'll find a youtube video that shows different thermal paste applying methods when compared under a glass plate.

3. cyclonus10

Hitman

so, in other words, same method as always, pea in middle or thin line as instructed by arctic silver 5 pdf instructions. thats good to know.
    hope i havent got the dodgy foxconn socket on my mobo, only had it since early january (ordered frrom OC on 5th)
    might not have installed h-50 properly first time around anyway, took at least 3-4 attempts to lock in cooler, i could see some of the paste was on the cpu when i finally locked it in place.
    as i understand it, silver 5 can take uptp 200 hours to reach maximum efficiency, probably not a good idea to overclock my i5 when i apply it to cpu straight away then.

silver 3 was used in that video, is it better or worse than silver 5?

is mx-3 gonna be better than silver 5 for h-50 or is the difference marginal?

Last edited: 7 Mar 2010
  4. Strawberry

Hitman

MX-3 is better than MX-2 which is better than arctic silver 5. The difference is marginal, at most a few degrees.