Replacement for Dell D460 AM-02 PSU

Associate
Just upgraded to a new GPU (Gigabyte GeForce 1660 Super Mini ITX OC) and although the GPU spec recommends 450W and the PSU is 460W, I've gotten advice in the GPU forum here that game crashes I'm experiencing are likely due to the PSU being dated (PC specs at the bottom).

Just did a check on Newegg and my specs come out as using ~340 Watts, so the PSU must be deteriorating?

PSUs are one thing I've never replaced before so am trying to get up to speed.

I can't seem to find details on the physical size of my current PSU (as is dimensions to fit into the tower) to know what to get as a replacement. I've come across this page that lists a bunch of different ones and another page I can't find now listed ATX and ATX12V versions if I remember correctly.

I'm not looking to scrimp on the PSU, so would greatly appreciate any steer in terms of what might fit as a replacement and would be a solid make with surge protection etc.

PC Specs
  • Dell XPS8700 (bought 2013)
  • Windows 10 (64-bit OS)
  • Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz
  • RAM: 12GB
  • GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 1660 Super Mini ITX OC
  • 1TB Hard Disk
  • 1TB SSD
  • 32GB mSATA SSD Scratch Disk
  • DVD-RW
  • Motherboard: Dell 0KWVT8 (BIOS fully up-to-date)
  • PSU: Dell D460 AM-02 (I believe this is 460W)

Man of Honour
I believe that while your psu may have a total power of 460w it only has 385w on it's 12v rails. I can't find any info on it's physical dimensions but it looks to be around a standard size psu but maybe you can measure yours just to be sure before I go recommending a replacement? It would seem that the connections are just normal psu connectors and nothing Dell specific so a standard psu should be compatible.

Man of Honour
I believe that while your psu may have a total power of 460w it only has 385w on it's 12v rails. I can't find any info on it's physical dimensions but it looks to be around a standard size psu but maybe you can measure yours just to be sure before I go recommending a replacement? It would seem that the connections are just normal psu connectors and nothing Dell specific so a standard psu should be compatible.

This is what I found looks like standard size..

ID460AM-02-Rev:00 Condition
: Power SupplyMax Power: 460WP1 Connector: 24-Pin ATX
Dimensions: 150mm x 86mm x 140mm

https://www.cpumedics.com/dell-d460am-02-rev-00-460w-power-supply-for-alienware-z01g/

Associate
OP
I'm verging on cross posting as I started this in the GPU forum, but since this is the PSU forum, just to check whether the issue sounds like the PSU is the problem: I can play Doom 2016 and Battlefield BC2 on maxed out settings with no problems. Smooth gameplay. Doom has the 60fps limiter and it sits at 60fps perfectly. BFBC2 shows 200fps. The issue is with a game from 1999 that I play a lot that keeps crashing (as in PC shuts down and restarts) after ~2 minutes of game play and shows fps ranging from ~60 to ~32 during gameplay - this older game only requires a 32MB GPU to play though is online, so maybe something to do with the online gameplay is causing an issue.

Power consumption on these games is below (I'm re-downloading more recent games to test). I guess I'm wondering how modern games play OK and don't crash the PC, but an older game does - is that more likely to be a driver issue than a PSU issue then?
  • Doom 2016 on Ultra Settings: Averaged around 50W, max it went to was 70W when a tonne of enemies and guns were going off.
  • BF:BC2 on Highest Settings: Averaged around 100W, max 118W
  • TFC (old game): Averaged 25W, max 34W

Deadly yeah, I'll measure and compare to the dimensions from the link below just to be 100% and post back.

This is what I found looks like standard size..

ID460AM-02-Rev:00 Condition
: Power SupplyMax Power: 460WP1 Connector: 24-Pin ATX
Dimensions: 150mm x 86mm x 140mm

https://www.cpumedics.com/dell-d460am-02-rev-00-460w-power-supply-for-alienware-z01g/

Cheers for that, I found a good few pages with the PSU listed but none had dimensions. Thanks for the find!

Man of Honour
I'm verging on cross posting as I started this in the GPU forum, but since this is the PSU forum, just to check whether the issue sounds like the PSU is the problem: I can play Doom 2016 and Battlefield BC2 on maxed out settings with no problems. Smooth gameplay. Doom has the 60fps limiter and it sits at 60fps perfectly. BFBC2 shows 200fps. The issue is with a game from 1999 that I play a lot that keeps crashing (as in PC shuts down and restarts) after ~2 minutes of game play and shows fps ranging from ~60 to ~32 during gameplay - this older game only requires a 32MB GPU to play though is online, so maybe something to do with the online gameplay is causing an issue.

Power consumption on these games is below (I'm re-downloading more recent games to test). I guess I'm wondering how modern games play OK and don't crash the PC, but an older game does - is that more likely to be a driver issue than a PSU issue then?
  • Doom 2016 on Ultra Settings: Averaged around 50W, max it went to was 70W when a tonne of enemies and guns were going off.
  • BF:BC2 on Highest Settings: Averaged around 100W, max 118W
  • TFC (old game): Averaged 25W, max 34W

Deadly yeah, I'll measure and compare to the dimensions from the link below just to be 100% and post back.

Cheers for that, I found a good few pages with the PSU listed but none had dimensions. Thanks for the find!
If just one game yhat crashes and the rest are fine it's not the psu, sound more like drivers or compatibility.

Try running it in a diffrent windows version, right click on the desktop icon click properties and it should be in there.

Associate
OP
If just one game yhat crashes and the rest are fine it's not the psu, sound more like drivers or compatibility.

Try running it in a diffrent windows version, right click on the desktop icon click properties and it should be in there.

Played Wolfenstein II on highest settings for 30 mins and ran lovely and smooth. Kombustor stress test also ran with no issues for 30 minutes. Does seem to be something specific to that game, however I have had two crashes and restarts just browsing the internet which has never happened this PC before. In Windows Event Viewer, there have been six critical events that led to shutdown all in the two days that I had the new GPU installed. Its difficult to see a clear event that leads to the crashes however as there are no events prior to the critical error that reports that PC shutdown unexpectedly.

There was a new driver update as soon as I installed the new GPU so perhaps that driver update did something. I've temporarily put the old GPU back in as I need to finish some work that I can't afford to lose to a crash. Will explore more once this is done.

Measured the PSU and the measurements from mickyflinn are bang on: 150mm x 86mm x 140mm. That PSU mickyflinn linked to is the current one in the system (edit) looks pretty much identical to the one in my PC but mine doesn't have the two 6+2 pin connectors, mine just has two 6 pin connectors.

I'm tempted to just get a new PSU to be on the safe side, happy to shell out ~£60-80 for a solid PSU, not sure though if that's skimping - would there be one you might recommend?

Future proofing power-wise, the only thing I might upgrade (replace) would be a new 3.5"HDD as the current one acts a little funny every now and then. The only other possible upgrade would be new RAM.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
By the looks of the dimensions of Corsair RM PSUs they're all 160 x 150 x 86, so are 20mm longer than what I have and would be pushed right up against cables coming from USBs at the top of the PC.

Would a TX650M from OCUK be overkill? Maybe enough with a TX550M?

Newegg has my system as using ~340 Watts.

Man of Honour
By the looks of the dimensions of Corsair RM PSUs they're all 160 x 150 x 86, so are 20mm longer than what I have and would be pushed right up against cables coming from USBs at the top of the PC.

Would a TX650M from OCUK be overkill? Maybe enough with a TX550M?

Newegg has my system as using ~340 Watts.
550w will be fine 650w adds flexabilabilty for future upgrades.

Associate
OP
550w will be fine 650w adds flexabilabilty for future upgrades.

Out of curiosity, what is the "50°C Operating Temperature" thing that's on these TX ones but isn't on the RX ones? From what I've read RX is better than TX, could that 50 degree temperature thing ever be an issue?

Are there other makes other than corsair that I could take a look at?

Man of Honour
Out of curiosity, what is the "50°C Operating Temperature" thing that's on these TX ones but isn't on the RX ones? From what I've read RX is better than TX, could that 50 degree temperature thing ever be an issue?

Nothing to worry about it will be fine and backed by a 7 year warranty.

Associate
OP

OK just realised that means ambient temperature so pretty unlikely to get to 50 degrees C so all good.

Found a list of PSUs from LTT forum and seems any Corsair TXM Gold model is highly regarded so might take a punt on it.

Nothing to worry about it will be fine and backed by a 7 year warranty.

Think we posted at the same time. Good to know, thanks and cheers for the help!

Man of Honour
One thing to consider if you are space restricted for a psu is that the physical psu size isn't the only thing you need to take into account. If you have a modular or semi-modular psu then you also need to factor in the distance the connectors stick out as well. Typically the connector will stick out 10-15mm beyond the psu and then you will have another 10-15mm of cable sticking out of the connector even if you bend it as tight as possible. So always allow anything from 20-30mm on top of the psu length to allow ample extra space for the connectors and cable.

Associate
OP
One thing to consider if you are space restricted for a psu is that the physical psu size isn't the only thing you need to take into account. If you have a modular or semi-modular psu then you also need to factor in the distance the connectors stick out as well. Typically the connector will stick out 10-15mm beyond the psu and then you will have another 10-15mm of cable sticking out of the connector even if you bend it as tight as possible. So always allow anything from 20-30mm on top of the psu length to allow ample extra space for the connectors and cable.

Cheers, yeah I had a good check before purchasing and can confirm the TX650M fits nicely (just installed it).

Unfortunately it has not solved the issue of the old game crashing... so must not have been the PSU...

Back
Top Bottom