Replacement Rights Under Guarantee

Soldato
Hi all,

I was just wondering what your experiences are of replacement products whilst under guarantee? The reason for asking is that my TV has broken recently and can’t be repaired. Apparently I’m in line for a replacement with the most recent model, however, the most recent one works out £500 cheaper than what I bought it for my TV for originally. Are my rights that I get a replacement and should I be getting the monetary difference either in cash or vouchers, or just a replacement?
I’m 18 months into a 6 year guarantee.

Normally, I’d think I should be happy with just a replacement. But I’ve heard and read a few stories where people get the difference refunded (a family member actually being one of these with John Lewis) and around the web. Is there a hard and fast rule? I can’t find it in consumer rights.

I guess the retailer could argue depreciation of goods and that it is a newer (not always better) product that mine is being replaced by?

Anyone who is savvy with consumer rights and all those shenanigans or have had differing experiences would be welcome!

Thanks in advance :)

Man of Honour
You are only entitled to full refund of the purchase price within the first six months, so in you case I would say that you really shouldn't be entitled or expecting anything other than what you're going to get.

A warranty covers you for refund, repair or replacement and it's actually the warranty providers choice as to which you get.

If my current LG B7 TV, which cost £1500 new and is now two years old, develops and unrepairable fault tomorrow. Then I get offered and brand new LG BX, which cost's £1300, I don't think I'd be complaining at all.

Soldato
OP
Fair enough!
Sounds like JL were being ridiculous with my family member then. He had a B6 replaced with a C9 and got £1000 as well. Absolutely ridiculous!

I'm more than happy with a replacement, just wanted to see if I could have been a cheeky git and had the difference and I was missing some trick or another :)

Thanks for the input Barmy!

Back
Top Bottom