Replacement Thermal Glue

Associate
Hi

Me and my brother are putting a computer together for my nephew from new and spare parts and due to the cost of graphics cards lately we were going to use a HD7970 I hand in storage. As the card had water block on it I ordered a new air cooler form OCUK LINK But when i tried to fit the cooler the thermal glue it came with has set in its tube.

I was hoping to have this ready for Christmas so does anyone know what i can get to replace the included thermal glue?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Don't use thermal glue, use thermal compound/paste. They are different things. OCUK do a range of thermal compounds. I'd probably go for something electrically non-conductive as it will make your life easier in the event of a smudge, spill or over application.

Thermal glue sticks things together permanently, so you would use it for gluing heatsinks to individual chips that don't have any other type of mounting. Thermal paste/compound is used for when you can clamp or screw the heatsink to the hot chip, and will enable you to remove it in the future.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Don't use thermal glue, use thermal compound/paste. They are different things. OCUK do a range of thermal compounds. I'd probably go for something electrically non-conductive as it will make your life easier in the event of a smudge, spill or over application.

Thermal glue sticks things together permanently, so you would use it for gluing heatsinks to individual chips that don't have any other type of mounting. Thermal paste/compound is used for when you can clamp or screw the heatsink to the hot chip, and will enable you to remove it in the future.

Yes that's what the Thermal Glue in the above cooler is for, sticking the little heatsinks to the RAM and VRM chip's.

Back
Top Bottom