Replacing 10 year old PC

Associate
Hey guys, looking to get a new PC with the release of the new Ampere GPUs and finally replace my old PC. Would like some suggestions if you have any.

I'm looking to spend maybe around £1500, but would also like an Intel build with a 3080 if possible (not sure if this will be possible, can stretch if needed). I'm a gamer, so that's the primary function. Currently only playing Classic and a few old games, but that's also because my PC can't really play anything demanding as it's so old. So would like as capable as possible for the future and also for longevity.

I would need a new OS but no peripherals, although I would need a new case.

Hope I've not missed anything and this is enough.

Thanks guys.

Soldato
Ryzen Zen 3 due in a few weeks - build for comparison:

Quality B550, 32GB Crucial Ballistix (micron E) tight timings, PSU modular with 10 year guarantee, Cooler will keep things cool and quiet and sleek design, quality case - but personal preference.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: ~£1560 (with £45 cach back)

If you can afford 32GB ~£140 for 2 x 16GB.

MSI are doing a cash back when you buy the B550 and a Ryzen CPU e.g. a 3700X plus b550 gets you £45 back

Promotion link: https://uk.msi.com/Promotion/back-to-school-2020#AMD-Motherboard

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I would wait for the new Ryzen processors if possible, even if you still want to go with Intel the performance uplift will be big enough that I think Intel will react.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick responses!

I have no issue in waiting for the AMD Ryzens, and no issue getting one if they are worth it. Do you guys think they will be better than Intel at my price range? Or have a rough date for release?

I have a BenQ xl2420t 24 inch 144hz @jigger and a 22 inch cheap monitor on the side. The main monitor will not be replaced for a long time (or until it breaks :p)

Soldato
I have a BenQ xl2420t 24 inch 144hz @jigger and a 22 inch cheap monitor on the side. The main monitor will not be replaced for a long time (or until it breaks :p)
3080 is overkill for that and no sense to buy £1500+ PC for that.
(for comparison £300/less would get 27" 2560x1440 144Hz monitor)
Agree with @EsaT - better off getting 3070 and putting difference towards a 27" 1440p when you have the funds (far more fun than wasted FPS and low res/small'ish screen). A 3080 coupled with a 1080p 144Hz is wasted - especially given your "long time" comment.

Associate
AMD will generally be cheaper, cooler, quieter and use less electric for similar performance, depending on your use case.

I agree with the other comments about considering a new larger main monitor and moving current main to secondary. Monitor tech and prices are great just now.

As always, it's a bad time to buy (the pc stuff, not the monitor). Give it until the end of October if you can.

Associate
OP
A long time could be a few years (or maybe even sooner) as I've already had the monitor for 4 -5 years or so. I'd like to try and futureproof as much as possible which is the reason for a 3080. I've had my current pc for a long time and plan to do the same with this one. Not to say I won't buy a newer monitor after seeing the suggestions and prices from you guys, could be something for the future.

I will bump this thread in a month or so I guess after new Ryzens release and situations improve.

Thanks for your replies so far.

Soldato
I'd like to try and futureproof as much as possible which is the reason for a 3080. I've had my current pc for a long time and plan to do the same with this one.
Graphics card is about the easiest to change part in PC and there's no sense in future proofing it.
Competition is now returning and also Intel is readying to join discrete GPU game as third player.
So in two years we'll have entirely new cards and likely with healthy performance advance. (for the prices)
Especially if you aren't going to update monitor soon 3080 would be waste.

As for CPU you shouldn't expect current models to stay strong as long now that there's again advance thanks to AMD.
Certainly Intel's core count is going to look low in future with heavy multithreading becoming more and more common.

Monitor tech and prices are great just now.
Only for 2560x1440 and 27".
Advance of 3840x2160 choise is still dead on water.
Also that monitor tech hasn't really advanced any with us being still stuch on same old compromised LCD.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. I think you are right, I will go with a 3070. But as I said earlier, will wait until the new Ryzens are released and then bump the thread again.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Hey guys, I'd like to bump the thread now that the new Ryzens are out. What would you guys recommend to change? They look very good from what I've seen, so I guess a 3070 and one of the new AMD processors would be best.

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Hey guys, I'd like to bump the thread now that the new Ryzens are out. What would you guys recommend to change? They look very good from what I've seen, so I guess a 3070 and one of the new AMD processors would be best.

Cheers.

Hi welcome back.

The new tech has arrived but getting hold of it is the issue.

Associate
OP
It's bad and demand is huge, retailers have taken pre orders so can't see anything changing for months.

You can't even pre order one at the moment.

Damn, that sucks. Which one would be recommended for me to keep an eye on, and would work well with a 3070? Would also need an AMD motherboard.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom