Replacing a normal keyboard with a backlit one?

Associate
Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Dell Inspiron 5559 which has a non-backlit keyboard. Dell do sell the 5559 with or without a backlit keyboard.

My question is this, is it possible to replace this keyboard with a backlit keyboard?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry I've just realised that it's a laptop, if dell do it with a Back-lit keyboard then there is no reason why it would not work.
Are you planning to buy the Back-lit version or changing it yourself?
If changing it yourself I don't see why it would not work, they would just be the same Base laptop and they would just change the keyboard. It would not be cost effective for them to do two different versions for the sake of a keyboard.
Hope that make sense.

My laptop has a Back-lit keyboard and it usually boots up with the keyboard lit and you get software to change the colour brightness ect.

Associate
OP
Yeah, it totally makes sense.

I'm literally the most ham-fisted and un-confident person when it comes to disassembling computers. I spilled coffee on my previous laptop and it completely fried, I literally had to tear the machine open to take out the hard-drive.

That been said, taking out keyboard and replacing it on the Inspiron 5559 is a very simple process, even for me. It's just a case of taking out the battery and then lifting a few plastic clips.

So yes, I'm going to buy the non-backlit version, buy the backlit keyboard and then install it myself.

Caporegime
Yeah, it totally makes sense.

I'm literally the most ham-fisted and un-confident person when it comes to disassembling computers. I spilled coffee on my previous laptop and it completely fried, I literally had to tear the machine open to take out the hard-drive.

That been said, taking out keyboard and replacing it on the Inspiron 5559 is a very simple process, even for me. It's just a case of taking out the battery and then lifting a few plastic clips.

So yes, I'm going to buy the non-backlit version, buy the backlit keyboard and then install it myself.
Obviously you need to check the pricing. If it's £30 extra for the back-lit keyboard from Dell and it's £40 to buy separately then it's pointless.

Associate
OP
Obviously you need to check the pricing. If it's £30 extra for the back-lit keyboard from Dell and it's £40 to buy separately then it's pointless.

The thing is, the machine is certified refurbished from a company who buys end-of-the-line/discontinued stock from Dell. It comes Dell boxed, sealed and with a 3 year Dell warranty.

When you put everything into consideration, buying a new back-lit kryboard, etc, it's still a real bargain.

Back
Top Bottom