Replacing integrated washer dryer - how hard can it be?

Soldato
My flat came with an integrated washer dryer which has been playing up for a couple of months, to the point it has been leaking and vibrating like crazy last couple of weeks. I've had it diagonosed last week by a domestic appliance tradesman that the innder drum is gone, and isn't worth replacing. The unit/flat is 10 years old, so apparently it's done well to last that long. I don't plan on staying in my flat long, maybe 1-2 years max, so only want to go for a budget replacement I can leave here.

He's quoted me a new Montpellier unit, with installation, connection, disposal of old one for £569 incl. VAT. However, this excludes refitting of the door, and I'd need a carpenter to do so.

Now, looking online, I can find budget ones for around under £450 + £110 for installation, connection, disposal of old one incl. door refitted.

I was thinking - how hard can it be to replace a washing machine, if I watch a few videos online, and follow the instruction manual? Reconnecting the pipes, balancing, levelling look easy, but admittedly the carpentry is one I'd probably struggle with.

Any feedback, from anyone who may have replaced their wahsing machines themselves?

Associate
Its easy, you just have a hose for the waste and a cold feed for the tap which you will already have. Take out the old one and replace with the new one. If you get a new integrated one it should come with a kit to mount the door on to. Remove the old door from your old machine and fit it to the new one, simples :)

Soldato
^ as above. The machine itself is a simple swap over. The door could be simple but I have friends who bought new devices and then the door hinges have been in a different place. You'll know when you get to that stage then take a call on whether you want a carpenter to do it as a quick side job.

Soldato
Yeah the door is going to be the biggest issue, even with hinge anchor points on the machine that can be moved up or down, you'll be lucky to get hinges that fit exactly. I found this out when replacing an integrated washer.

Do you have suspended floors too? They're a nightmare for keeping machines stable in my opinion.

Soldato
Remove intergrated and fit freestanding in its place an option ? Would be cheaper than buying an intergrated unit.
:o

The hinges are easy to cut in, all you need is a hinge drill bit and a tape measure.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-tct-hinge-cutter-35mm/4977v
For a brand new door...yes... but odds of the new washer fouling existing holes? Quite high I would say. Sods law and all that. :p

One final point to OP, if you have never done this before... DO NOT FORGET THE TRANSIT BOLTS

Soldato
For a brand new door...yes... but odds of the new washer fouling existing holes? Quite high I would say. Sods law and all that. :p

This happened on mine, the installer ended up attaching the door on the opposite side to the old one, which fortunately wasn't a problem as the handles are all horizontal.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the tips.

This door thing appears unavoidable as I've decided to go with another integrated instead of a freestanding. Will report back when I receive the unit.

Soldato
To make it easy to remove and refit spray the tiles (if you have them or whatever ) with furniture polish - I replace my built in washing machine and had to rig up a winch system to get old one out - it was a PITA - pushing it back was easy with furniture polish.
The only problem was levelling - I had trouble getting to the rear feet to adjust them.
I had to bodge the door but in the end it looks ok.

Back
Top Bottom