Replacing Onkyo 875 Amp and Pioneer PDP-5080XD

Man of Honour
There is video processing, and it includes analogue to HDMI conversion as well as upscaling. I don't know if you've got the ability to colour correct though. Have a look on the Denon website and download the manual.

Associate
OP
There is video processing, and it includes analogue to HDMI conversion as well as upscaling. I don't know if you've got the ability to colour correct though. Have a look on the Denon website and download the manual.

Thank you again for your reply .

I’ll have a look .

Associate
OP
Go for it

After you got one you will be wishing you bought an OLED sooner...:D

I just upgraded from my pioneer LX508D plasma to a Sony 65AF9 OLED last saturday...:)

Been spending weeks looking at them to be fair don't want no motion blur i keep reading about as i watch football etc a lot and my pioneer is brill on that .

Still not sure on a 55" or 65" wife thinks 65" is too big i don't lol .

Looking at the LG B8 or C8 and the sony AF8 55"

Soldato
Been spending weeks looking at them to be fair don't want no motion blur i keep reading about as i watch football etc a lot and my pioneer is brill on that .

Still not sure on a 55" or 65" wife thinks 65" is too big i don't lol .

Looking at the LG B8 or C8 and the sony AF8 55"
Sorry am no help on what football is like on my OLED vs my pioneer Plasma as I never watch football..

One thing that may interest you is that on my Pioneer plasma I used to watch almost every 2:35 movie with the "full movie" zoom setting where my new sony OLED no has this zoom level,
The sony seems to only zoom a 2:35 movie to fill the whole screen or to 4:3 :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry am no help on what football is like on my OLED vs my pioneer Plasma as I never watch football..

One thing that may interest you is that on my Pioneer plasma I used to watch almost every 2:35 movie with the "full movie" zoom setting where my new sony OLED no has this zoom level,
The sony seems to only zoom a 2:35 movie to fill the whole screen or to 4:3 :(

You want to view movie in oar. Don't do any zooming.

On the pioneer if your source is 1080p you want to use dot by dot mode.

2:35 movies should have quite large black borders

Associate
OP
Had a demo of the AF8 65 in John lewis and WOW ! That has tempted me was impressed by the 65" over the 55". The sony looked a lot better and sharper over the LG c8

Last edited:
Soldato
each
You want to view movie in oar. Don't do any zooming.

On the pioneer if your source is 1080p you want to use dot by dot mode.

2:35 movies should have quite large black borders
This is what the zoom looks like on a pioneer plasma

Top picture is the pioneer movie zoom setting and the bottom picture is pioneer dot by dot setting
The top & bottom black bars are both 1cm narrower in the top picture ;)
bRWWvQp.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I can confirm 65 it is ;)
Well done...:):)

You be amazed at how quick you're going to get used to the increased size..

After I put my 65 up on the wall I was thinking for first 2 days it was too big and I should have bought the 55
But a few days later and am already completely used to the bigger size and am so glad I went for the 65 and not the smaller 55

Associate
OP
Well done...:):)

You be amazed at how quick you're going to get used to the increased size..

After I put my 65 up on the wall I was thinking for first 2 days it was too big and I should have bought the 55
But a few days later and am already completely used to the bigger size and am so glad I went for the 65 and not the smaller 55

Was a bit worries about the size to fair was looking at the AF8 or even the C8 55" went shopping friday with the wife nipped in to take alook and she said if want it go for the bigger one it should be alright .

Had a poster size 65" we were given to put on the wal and it does look big but i'm sure the pioneer looked like that all those years ago too.

Ddi you tweak any settings etc when you got it ? Don't think i'll get it running for a few days as we're going to be wall papering the wall it's going on i think now too.

Soldato
Was a bit worries about the size to fair was looking at the AF8 or even the C8 55" went shopping friday with the wife nipped in to take alook and she said if want it go for the bigger one it should be alright .
My 65 OLED is in the bedroom ;)
(My old 50" pioneer plasma is now in the living room)

Had a poster size 65" we were given to put on the wal and it does look big but i'm sure the pioneer looked like that all those years ago too..
Yes I also remember when I first bought my 50" pioneer back in 2007 I was thinking it was too big at first :p.
But that was mainly because there was very little stuff in HD back then so a lot of the stuff i was watching was still in SD and looked crap

Ddi you tweak any settings etc when you got it ? Don't think i'll get it running for a few days as we're going to be wall papering the wall it's going on i think now too.
I just changed a few setting like changed the HDMI inputs to advance (Full bandwidth) and I knocked the brightness down a bit from 50 to 35 ,Set the front blue power LED light to dim, Turned off the front orange Mic light and I think i mainly left everything else at default..

But mine is the AF9 so some your default settings may be different on the AF8

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't think i'll get it running for a few days as we're going to be wall papering the wall it's going on i think now too.
Have you set up your new TV Yet ?
If yes what do you think of it (Good & Bad Points) ?

Am still loving my OLED...:) But I ran out of movies to watch :(...So I been watching some movies I already seen before :o
(I Watched "4K Christmas Inheritance" on Netflix last night)

Associate
OP
Have you set up your new TV Yet ?
If yes what do you think of it (Good & Bad Points) ?

Am still loving my OLED...:) But I ran out of movies to watch :(...So I been watching some movies I already seen before :o
(I Watched "4K Christmas Inheritance" on Netflix last night)

Sorry late reply .

Hung it today as been decorating in the lounge picture fantastic but i have to say i caught some black panther and it made me feel a little sick everything moving around so fast at the end of the film!

Which has now put a seed of doubt in my mind in my mind it's too big or have my eyes got to adjust ?

Had to urn colour down way to bright for me that was first thing i did .

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry late reply .

Hung it today as been decorating in the lounge picture fantastic but i have to say i caught some black panther and it made me feel a little sick everything moving around so fast at the end of the film!

Which has now put a seed of doubt in my mind in my mind it's too big or have my eyes got to adjust ?

Had to urn colour down way to bright for me that was first thing i did .
Yes the motion is different to what you're used to on the pioneer plasma (Am guessing your first film having fast moving parts in it was not a good idea till you get more used to the different kind of motion :D )
But your eyes will adjust to the increased screen size very quickly...I still remember when I first bought my 50" pioneer plasma and I couldn't get over how huge people faces looked on it and found it was weird that there heads were bigger then in real life :p

I also had to turn the brightness settings down on my AF9

Back
Top Bottom