Replacing outer fan on beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4.

Associate
Hello all,

I am thinking of getting the Dark Rock Pro 4 to replace my current Noctua NHD-15 as I prefer the dark look of the former compared to the brown look of the latter.

Since I'm not a fan (no pun intended) of having RGB all over my case I was thinking instead of having just one RBG fan to illuminate the inside of my case. To do this I believe I could just replace the stock fan that attaches to the outside of my Dark Rock Pro 4 with a suitable RGB fan. Does anyone see any potential issues with this? I presume it could be mounted like the stock fans but I'm not entirely sure. I also have low-profile RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX) so hopefully that won't be an issue either.

Thanks!

Associate
I can't see any issue because the dark rock Pro 4 uses metal clips to hold the outer fan in place and it's 120mm. I imagine it could be replaced with any 120mm rgb fan and ram clearance shouldn't be an issue with low profile sticks.

Man of Honour
Rather than throwing £85 on a new cooler why don't you just change the fans on the Noctua? You could probably get away with dropping to 120mm fans as well because around 1/3 of the stock fans are not even blowing through the heatsink fins anyway. Ideally you want matching fans on a heatsink.

Soldato
Done this with a Dark Rock Pro 4. Used a single Fractal Prisma PWM 120mm and left the stock 135mm BeQuiet fan in place, in the middle.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £23.73 (includes shipping: £2.74)​

Tested before and after. Was only hotter by 1C, margin of error stuff. Little noisier at full pelt. It does have slightly higher RPM than the BeQuiet 120mm.

You'd need the proper 3-pin 5v header on your motherboard (ARGB/Addressable/Rainbow/whatever they call it) for this fan. Not the older 4-pin 12v.

Back
Top Bottom