• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Replacing thermal pads Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3090 - what size?

Associate
I'm been contemplating using thermal putty alongside the stock pads so should keep warranty intact.

Ignore the guy in the video but this stuff looks promising.

Soldato
Associate
I'm starting to suspect my gpu wasnt quite made right, gpu runs at 51c and memory is 110c so it's not MY cooling thats the issue.

Associate
i have just bought a 3090 extream and having the same issues getting 70c and 106c on vman while gaming at 4k. I have noticed its thrrotling also i might have to send back as i am little disapointed with the temps on the card. Just watched the above video would using a good paste do the same job ?

Associate
I replaced the pads on my gigabyte 3080 today with the thermalright 2mm extreme odyssey pads, ram temp has dropped 24c. (mine didnt have pads on the back plate which i added)

Associate
3080/90 are much more likely to thermal throttle because of the Memory Junction temperature than the GPU core.
Even watercooled cards (mainly 3090) can be frustrating as I was managing the GPU at nice mid 40's, and the Memory Junction would stay close to 80's, but no mining and not gaming at 4k here, so I wasn't pushing the memory hard.
The active backplate, despite some criticisms around, was a must for the 3090.
But to stay on air, quite few requirements:
Airflow, GOOD Airflow.
If your GPU wasn't assembled poorly, simply using some ghetto mod heatsink on the back of the card, using some good thermal adhesive tape, should help to avoid thermal throttling.
Is still happening, the only solution is replacing the thermalpad.
People struggling to find the Thermalright ones, can go with the Gelid Ultimate or Xtreme (slightly worse than the Ultimate).
Even replacing the thermalpads, at least on the back of the card, heatsinks still helps.
Also, not every card/scenario, but vertical mounting it can help. Just make sure it is not too close to the side window, otherwise you got yourself a glass hob.

Back
Top Bottom