Reputable good value Insurer... Does one exist?

Associate
It's that time of year again to renew the car insurance. For the last 8 years I've been with Tesco, despite their reputation since they have served my family well. However, when my renewal came through this year, there had been the usual price-hike but this time Tesco would not budge on the price and I have politely told them that I shall be taking my business elsewhere this year.

Enter stage left: a plethora of insurance companies. My question to the fine folk of OCUK is - which one? I've spent many hours over the weekend (not while the rugby was on) on all of the comparison sites and reading reviews. Whilst I fully expected companies towards the 'value' end of the spectrum to be less popular, I'm finding that even supposedly reputable insurers such as Direct Line have had some pretty scathing reviews. I've had a quote from the ahem, Large Grey Animal company that ticks all of the boxes and is nearly £200 less than Tesco's £518 renewal. I could pay a premium and go with one of the more 'prestigious' companies but is it worth it?

For info, I'm 25, drive a 1.4 51-plate Corsa (albeit an SRI) with 5 years no claims, no incidents or convictions.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Caporegime
Depends entirely on your postcode, car type and a whole host of other variables, I've had great service & price in the past from Swiftcover for example, yet a good mate had no end of hassles with them with admin **** ups etc - same insurer, totally different experience.

Equally, I got a good price with my current insurer, £190 cheaper than my renewal, great!! Roll on 3 months, I move house, less than a mile from my old address and due to "the number of claims in my postcode area" , despite 12years NCB and being a professional driver - and viewed by my insurers as a good risk due to this - my premium still jumped by £260 :(

It's a bloomin' minefield, one were all treading through alas.....

Last edited:

Soldato
you will tend to find that the majority of the insurance companies will end up using the same underwriter for your insurance, you'll be lucky if there is really 4 or 5 insurance companies and the rest are brokers, selling someone elses insurance.

just go with whatever is the cheapest for you and don't be afraid to call up and haggle with them. I did that on my taxi insurance this year and knocked £450 off my renewal price.

obviously you'll get bad reviews for every company but at the end of the day they are all regulated by the insurance ombudsman people so they have to live up to a certain minimum standard, so I wouldn't worry too much

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Nobody goes online and writes about how great their insurer is. That's why you will always find negative reviews.

Soldato
Enter stage left: a plethora of insurance companies. My question to the fine folk of OCUK is - which one? I've spent many hours over the weekend (not while the rugby was on) on all of the comparison sites and reading reviews. Whilst I fully expected companies towards the 'value' end of the spectrum to be less popular, I'm finding that even supposedly reputable insurers such as Direct Line have had some pretty scathing reviews. I've had a quote from the ahem, Large Grey Animal company that ticks all of the boxes and is nearly £200 less than Tesco's £518 renewal. I could pay a premium and go with one of the more 'prestigious' companies but is it worth it?

so are you looking for an insurance co who will

a) have lovely customer service and phone manners
b) handle claims swiftly and without delay
c) pay you handsomely if you do claim, without you having to argue or barter with them
d) be cheap?

if you think about it from an insurance co point of view it is their business to be tight fisted.

having dealt with probably every motor insurance company there is out there, they are all the same, in fact, some of the biggest name ones are the worst because to be such a big profitable name, they cut the most corners possible, theyll have claim handlers handling hundreds of claims, the process is impossible for them... thats why theyre such evil swines

Back
Top Bottom