Request ideas for a VR Ready build. Budget: £800

Associate
Another one of these threads sorry...

My children have asked for an Oculus Rift for Xmas and the family Q6600 machine is nowhere near the minimum specs required.

I've always built my own systems, so happy with the physical part of the build. However, I'd be really greatful for suggestions on a spec that would run Elite Dangerous on VR, at a decent level, for around £800. Just the system required, no peripherals. I've got a couple of AOCI2367FH displays, which I think should be OK.

I've seen the current high prices of GPUs and RAM, so my plan is to build to this budget for now, and upgrade in about a year. I'm also trying to keep an eye on Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals. I'd consider a pre-built system, but it seems like I can get more FPS for my £££ by building it myself, plus it's more fun!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Been shopping around and this looks like a good deal...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...ml#p=bjQG2-08bjQP2.vYbjQQ2.v#bjRe2.w+bkeO2.#Y

Thinking of adding a 250GB SSD to the default setup.

I've looked at the CPU / RAM / Mobo bundles and was tempted, but they took me above budget. Do you think the above system will play most games on high settings with a decent FPS? Also has to run an Oculus Rift.

Any advice gratefully received :)

Associate
I just bought a Rift and am playing Elite Dangerous and Project Cars in it. That's with a GTX 1080 graphics card and a Ryzen R7 1700 CPU.

For yourself I'd be looking at grabbing a GTX 1070 for as cheap as possible and then building a system around that.

Associate
OP
Thanks! I'll have a look at GTX 1070 prices.

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to working out hardware bottle necks, though. Any suggestions on what to build around the GTX 1070 GPU and the Ryzen R7? Mobo and RAM I mean. I've just had a a look and it's looking like that GPU / CPU combo is already over budget unfortunately.

Last edited:
Associate
Been shopping around and this looks like a good deal...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...ml#p=bjQG2-08bjQP2.vYbjQQ2.v#bjRe2.w+bkeO2.#Y

Thinking of adding a 250GB SSD to the default setup.

I've looked at the CPU / RAM / Mobo bundles and was tempted, but they took me above budget. Do you think the above system will play most games on high settings with a decent FPS? Also has to run an Oculus Rift.

Any advice gratefully received :)

That build has a 1060 which won't run VR mate

Don
Not sure why DoomBruv is telling you a 1060 is no good for VR. It's absolutely fine with the current headsets. You won't be able to run any kind of super resolution but it's fine for running pretty much any game with the Rift or Vive.
Also, what's this 4k VR rubbish? Show me the 4k VR headset.

Associate
OP
Thanks again for all the help so far guys. After a bit more research, looking at this with a few config changes, as below...

OCUK GAMING NITROGEN OVERCLOCKED GAMING PC - INTEL CORE I3 8350K @ 4.7GHZ

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...h2(/UbhHj2(/$bhHk2(/XbhHl2(/YbhHm2(/ZbieG2$xY

Any suggestions for optimisation changes to the above configuration, without changing the final price above £850? Looking at around £150 spend on a monitor, any advice there as well is welcome.

My budget has crept up a bit, so the new plan is to spend £1k now on a solid gaming PC, and get the VR headset next year, probably upgrading other components at the same time.

Keen to hear any other build ideas. Happy with self build or pre-built.

Thanks.

Update: Latest Basket, hovering over the checkout button. Any red flags?

OcUK Gaming Nitrogen Overclocked Gaming PC - Intel Core i3 8350K @ 4.7GHz

Stock Code FS-1BY-OG

Built To Order

Was: £899.99
£839.95*
£839.95*

YOUR SELECTED CONFIGURATION:Edit Configuration
CasePhanteks Eclipse P400S Glass Midi Tower Case - Noise Dampened Gun Metal
MemoryTeam Group Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD48G2400
Solid State Drive (Primary)Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 250GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Solid State Drive (Secondary)Not selected
LightingBitfenix Alchemy 2.0 Magnetic RGB LED Strip - 30cm
Operating SystemNot selected
Security SoftwareNot selected
Graphics CardSapphire Radeon RX 560 Pulse 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card - Retail
Storage DriveSeagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD

AOC Q3279VWF 32" 2560x1440 VA 75Hz FREESYNC WideScreen LED Monitor

Stock Code MO-04G-AO

Pre Order

Was: £299.99
£199.99*
£199.99*

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Upgraded the GPU to a Gigabyte Aorus Radeon RX 580 8192MB GDDR5 and went for the above deal. Decided the monitor was too big, so got a different one on a Black Friday deal from another firm.

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom