Rerversing cameras

Man of Honour
Anyone fitted one? If so which one did you go for? There are literally eleventy-billion of them on Ebay beginning at circa £15. Some obviously will be junk but I'm sure some of them are pretty good. Trouble is working out which ones are crap and which ones are worth it.

It's not expensive technology at all so I guess there is no reason to be overly suspicious of sub 20 quid ones? It's effectively a cheap webcam with a long wire.. right?

Associate
I have one on my car (Factory fitted). I would 100% recommend to anyone! Once you have one theres no going back ... into things! :D

Just get any colour wide angle camera.

One nice touch if you can get it is one that displays lines with the distance.

Caporegime
Why, after all this time, do you now think you need a reversing camera?

Have you forgotten how to reverse or something?

(or is the GF now insured on the 530?) ;) :D

Edit: slow post, you don't need one if its a GF free zone.

Man of Honour
OP
Why, after all this time, do you now think you need a reversing camera?

It's a virtually free mod and I thought the one I had on my G37 rental was gimmicky and cool. I'd be silly not to install one given how cheap they are.

It's just something cool to fit. I don't need one, I can park without it, but it passes the 'helluva cool' test and it costs 20 quid.

Soldato
I don't see the point of these. Never needed one in 20 years of driving and I've yet to reverse into anything. :cool:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing that they could be useful to certain folk, I'm sure some people require them as an aid to assist their parking.

Associate
Mine has two lines going back notched that go from green to red. Useful but not essential :)

Like this

2842992-5.jpg

Not a great pic but all I could get on google.

Soldato
Yeah I can never quite see the point, when you're reversing you should be looking behind you not staring at a screen, the rear visibility of the 5 series isn't that bad surely? :p

Fair enough rear parking sensors with an audible or visual warning when looking behind but come on :p

Man of Honour
OP
Its just some gimmicky fun thats all. I wouldnt spend proper money on it but if you can do it for 20 quid or so why not?

Soldato
Do you have reversing sensors already? I get the appeal of 'gimmicky' add-ons, totally, it's just I think reversing sensors with a simple A/V cue are actually a 'useful gimmicky addon' vs a reversing camera which is either pointless if you don't use it or outright dangerous if you do :p

I'm not saying don't do it, it just reminds me of the roasting that Raymond got for suggesting front parking sensors on his Yaris so you're not getting off that easy :p

Permabanned
The only point I can see is to make it easier to hitch a trailer single handed as moving a loaded car trailer by hand is practically impossible, even if you are only an inch out of line!!

Man of Honour
OP
Guys I'm not asking if you think its a good idea, I don't actually care, it's a £15 project of lol. I'm asking if anyone else has bought any of these cheap cameras and what the experience was if you had :p

Back
Top Bottom