Rerversing cameras

Caporegime
What blew me away was the level of tech in the Ford Focus

It wasn't that long ago this tech was reserved for high end mercs and lexus only.

And already you can have it on your 2012 Focus. Incredible.

Caporegime
£15 is throwaway money but for £15 you're going to get throwaway quality as well. Not something I'd want in my car.

Hence his original post?

[TW]Fox;20484628 said:
Anyone fitted one? If so which one did you go for? There are literally eleventy-billion of them on Ebay beginning at circa £15. Some obviously will be junk but I'm sure some of them are pretty good. Trouble is working out which ones are crap and which ones are worth it.

Man of Honour
OP
£15 is throwaway money but for £15 you're going to get throwaway quality as well. Not something I'd want in my car.

Hence finding out if anyone else has tried it first to see if they had any recommendations before I gamble. If not, no big deal - its 15 quid. Worth it to see if its any good. If its not, it can go in the bin.

How much do you think it should cost to guarantee 'quality' then? Bear in mind it's just a basic VGA camera - you don't need HD 1080p with recording facilities do you? It's just a basic webcam style lense hooked up to an AV lead.

Man of Honour
And where are you going to fit it exactly? most look like they will require a hole being drilled into the bumper** (not bonnet, typo!) or boot trim somewhere, it's not going to end up being a cheap project at any stretch if that's the case!

Having had a look at eBay, none of the ones I clicked on showed an example of what the picture quality is like either.

I saw this one that stood out due to it's wide viewing angle but again, they don't post any examples showing what the looks like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120-HD-Ni...8?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item5d2fad508c

Some like that advertise "HD" but it's 510 x 492 which...isn't HD!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
And where are you going to fit it exactly? most look like they will require a hole being drilled into the bonnet

If you think I'm going to drill a REVERSING camera into my *bonnet* (I mean seriously? Just what?) then it's pretty clear this is a pointless discussion. I'm not drilling anything anywhere :p

The Americans seem to find all sorts of discreet places to put the camera without drilling things. The G37 I hired had it poking down subtly from the underside of the boot handle for example.

.isn't HD!

Oh no! Imagine not having HD.

I guess then the answer to my question is 'no', nobody has done anything similar? Pretty sure Will Gill has one on his M3.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I noticed the typo just as you posted ¬_¬

Still, if you're not drilling anything then where do you expect to stick it? It's going to look rubbish and out of place just stuck on?

Here's a tip, you could make a hole in the valance at the bottom, it won't be obvious and a wide angle camera would be just right there. You can then wire it through the undercarriage into the engine bay through the holes that lead into the dash.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
revjb.png

Soldato
Go for it sounds like a fun little add on. Would the same thing not apply as when picking cctv. Always try get a ccd over cmos for quality especially at night. Is there any with a ccd.

There is a decent kit in halfords clearance online with a decent ccd with good lux.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom