Rerversing cameras

Associate
I have a theory on the techonological innovations such that ford are bringing out.. basically as jobs are generally hard to find these days they are snapping up the very *best* graduates and setting them all little projects, i.e. how do we make a car park itself, how can we make a car slow down while using cruise control etc..

Sure .. the main marques have had this tech for a long time, but i'll bet you it cost a helluva lot more to implement, and was a lot harder to get approval on because no-one else was pushing it at the time.

This , imo , can only be a good thing for technology in cars, helps innovation!

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;20485315 said:
Its just some gimmicky fun thats all. I wouldnt spend proper money on it but if you can do it for 20 quid or so why not?

Manpoints! :D - You don't need them!

Spend the £20 on a drink with the GF one night. :)

(pet hate or what?) :p

Your often the first to bemoan a pointless purchase, if I don't need gimmicky fun in my HGV (where one could argue it has its uses) you don't need them on the 530i.

Say to your GF tomorrow "You know, I was going to spend £20 on some reversing cameras for the car, but in fact, **** it,lets have a drink / trip to the pictures / whatever on the £20 instead."

I would imagine she'd appreciate this "gesture" and, in due course, so would you. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;20486650 said:
revjb.png

If you can get it fitted that discreetly, and when you put the car into reverse it will turn on along with the parking sensors, I would say its worthwhile.

Soldato
I think he was looking into getting either the Sony that he made me buy or the Pioneer. The Sony will accept AV inputs through the red and yellow cable (composite?).

Man of Honour
OP
Say to your GF tomorrow "You know, I was going to spend £20 on some reversing cameras for the car, but in fact, **** it,lets have a drink / trip to the pictures / whatever on the £20 instead."

Or I could do something really risky and... buy a camera AND have a trip the pictures :eek: Imagine that? What a ridiculous argument against it.

It's 20 quid not £2000. Most people **** that up the wall on a typical night out. It's just a curiously interesting little project which will keep me amused for an hour fitting it and then be a bit gimmicky once its in. If it can go in without being tacky, why not. If it can't, then it won't. It's really that simple which I was asking for peoples experiences with them.

Soldato
Thought so :)

As for doing it, yeah why not, like you said it's £20. I've spent that countless times on random bits and bobs from eBay to arse about with. If I had a HU with an AV input then I'd probably do the same!

Man of Honour
OP
As for doing it, yeah why not, like you said it's £20. I've spent that countless times on random bits and bobs from eBay to arse about with. If I had a HU with an AV input then I'd probably do the same!

Well exactly, I can't understand the hostility really. If I was spending 300 quid retrofitting it then fair enough, what a complete waste of money but it's so cheap its almost rude not to..

Soldato
go for it, you may as well make the most of the features on a nice HU

its £20 ffs, or you could take the gf out for a drink.... errrr its your last £20, choose wisely! :S

Soldato
Well I've got one on the Boxer van, just get the widest angle lens you can, preferably on a CCD chip as they work better at low light levels, with the highest tvl you can get (420 would be fine), saying that I only went for a higher resolution camera so that I can reverse up to trailers perfectly. Also, make sure you have your bumper in shot, otherwise it's a pain judging distance. Once fitted you can scare other road users by reversing to within 2" of their front bumper.:D

Associate
bought one of these a few months back for my oldmans honda accord :

accord03.jpg

Bought a wireless module so I didn't have to have the wire going through the car, but in the end I went down that route anyway :D

Works off the factory sat nav just fine, had to get someone off the accord forum to sort me out with a cable for the nav unit. So it would make the video feed cut in on the screen when reversing.

Replaces one of the number plate bulbs, fits fine and looks OEM

this is a pic of someone else's fitted to his accord using the same camera.

IMAG0058.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
bought one of these a few months back for my oldmans honda accord :

accord03.jpg

Bought a wireless module so I didn't have to have the wire going through the car, but in the end I went down that route anyway :D

Works off the factory sat nav just fine, had to get someone off the accord forum to sort me out with a cable for the nav unit. So it would make the video feed cut in on the screen when reversing.

Replaces one of the number plate bulbs, fits fine and looks OEM

this is a pic of someone else's fitted to his accord using the same camera.

Excellent - exactly the feedback I was after. How much was it?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;20486539 said:
Are you guys honestly saying that if somebody said you could have a reversing camera for 15 quid and 45 minutes of fiddling with fitting, you'd say 'no'?

It's just a cool project..

Absolutely go for it, it's a great addition :)

Associate
£15 or there abouts.

the wireless module is about £11

but you get about 5 meters of cable so you may be fine doing it wired.

Im going to do my lexus next but I can't do it off the standard screen as Im not sure were the aux connector or the reverse feed on the lexus is.

So I may have to go for a 3" screen which Im not keen on too much

Man of Honour
OP
I'll be going wired as I'll have the centre console out anyway as I'm changing it at the same time, so it's a simple task to run the wire through to the rear of the HU :)

Associate
yer but the rear of the HU has to have some kind of input for it to show the reverse camera feed.

This is what I had to get done by the bloke off the accord forum, If you just use a spare aux connector on your cars HU it may cut in when reversing im not sure.

P1050226.jpg

this is what I needed for it to work on the accord.

one end fitted to the Camera Video cable and the other to the rear nav disc unit

P1050228.jpg

what you fitting this too? your BM?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom