Rerversing cameras

Soldato
[TW]Fox;20493969 said:
Or I could just buy a new one for 20 quid. It was hardly a popular option :p
I would imagine it looks better when you come to sell it if it has a genuine BMW one in there. Plus you get extra OEM points.

Man of Honour
OP
I would imagine it looks better when you come to sell it if it has a genuine BMW one in there. Plus you get extra OEM points.

It is unlikely I would ever sell this car and if I did a 600 quid camera it wouldn't add 600 quid to the car.

Soldato
I'm keen to see how you get on Fox.

I was interested in installing this on my E46 but got scared off by the electrical work as it just confused me and I don't rate my skills enough to not mess something up (I recently jump started another car - using the proper order - and since, it must have fried my MK3 nav as it no longer works) so I'm a bit gun shy atm.

I saved these 2 pages here and here for future reference - maybe they might be of some help to you.

Soldato
I had one on my Primera fitted as standard. To be honest it was handy at times but equally can be lethal. The times somebody walked/pulled out on me when I was gazing at the camera and I didn't see them. I had more than a few near misses, you really have to be careful with these things.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
What advantages are there from cameras over a decent set of parking sensors? Surely the sensors are less distracting?

OK I know the beeping is annoying but I love the set-up in my Dads 300C, having indicator lights and only beeping on red is much less annoying than the ones in my BMW which beep constantly.

Surely sensors distract less and provide the same functionality, I've never known one to misread and cause anyone to hit something, although mine sometimes misread in the opposite way by being activated by my exhaust fumes when I'm stationary.

Soldato
I drove 2 cars with them fitted, never used them, just looked behind instead. I doesn't seem right facing forwards while the car is moving backwards.

Hi, since all my cars have mirrors fitted to the door, and one inside the car, I'm sure your car has them, I've never looked backwards. With modern car design, smaller rear windows and rear head restraints, the rear view over your shoulder is poor, thus I reverse using said mirrors and now, reverse sensors, magic ;) If my car had a camera I'd probably use that as well. It's like a computor game, brilliant :D
Chris

Associate
I had one on my Primera fitted as standard. To be honest it was handy at times but equally can be lethal. The times somebody walked/pulled out on me when I was gazing at the camera and I didn't see them. I had more than a few near misses, you really have to be careful with these things.

That is very true. Iv seen myself being to busy looking at the screen to notice what is actually happening if that makes sence:confused:

Soldato
I bought this a couple of months back and fitted it to my Pioneer p4100. Definately worth £15. One thing I would say is that at night its very hard to see at all even with the small amount of light from the unit, I read somewhere that a camera that gives a Black+ White picture is better in the dark? The camera actually goes where one of my License plate lights lived.

IMG_1197.jpg

My friend just fitted the exact same one to his legacy the other week as he has a double DIN screen/HU thing.

It's a bit rough around the edges but essentially very good and does exactly what he wants.

Would probably do it myself if I had a screen, although to be honest having a whopping great spoiler sort of negates the need for it - very easy to tell how close you are to stuff and often can reverse to a couple of inches away from judgement alone.

Back
Top Bottom