RESEARCH: What would you like to see on a cut-down server

Arc

Arc

Associate
Originally posted by afraser2k
How about SSH instead of Telnet as default? I don't know if it is already but might be a nice idea.

I wouldnt even bother to setup Telnet anymore, ssh is the way to go and for servers security wise its a must.

Associate
OP
Originally posted by Shak
I dont think so, I reckon that because there are so many choices of mail server there is no-point installing one.

Shak

This is for a general server install cdrom so I need at least one as the people who are going to be using it probably don't know how to install one themselves. qMail seems to get good reviews where ever I read about it so that was the thought process behind that choice.

Permabanned
Originally posted by Baloo
This is for a general server install cdrom so I need at least one as the people who are going to be using it probably don't know how to install one themselves. qMail seems to get good reviews where ever I read about it so that was the thought process behind that choice.

Ah, so theyre semi-newbies, qMail is pretty good, it will also allow them to install what they want if they are not newbie

Shak

Associate
OP
Ah, so theyre semi-newbies, qMail is pretty good, it will also allow them to install what they want if they are not newbie

Shak

Yeah, kind of converting them over to Linux so the install cdrom will just do everything they currently do with NT or 2000 and hopefully they won't have to tinker with anything (maybe play about with webmin or something but not much more).

Associate
OP
Its brilliant, I use it all the time :)

Shak

WOW. Just installed Webmin and I am sooo impressed. Definatley will be using it as the main interface for all the servers my install cdrom will be used on. Its so cool burning cdroms over the network :D Chuffed :)

Permabanned
WOW. Just installed Webmin and I am sooo impressed. Definatley will be using it as the main interface for all the servers my install cdrom will be used on. Its so cool burning cdroms over the network :D Chuffed :)

I love it too :)

Its great when the server up here just spits out a CD-ROM when the cleaner is cleaning up here, she gets really freaked out :p

Shak

Associate

It's even more fun burning Cd's on an Rs/6000 running Linux PPC getting the Image files from an x86 box running FreeBSD via nfs and having X-Cdroast displaying on this win2k box :D

I love my network :D

Associate
not really, the file server's been in place for a long time (it's the reason i got into bsd), the rs/6000 was a pain to setup initialy but thats just because linux PPC is *evil* and the install for an rs/6000 is a little bit of a hack, the win2k box is just running x vision.. so ti works like this

BSD box shares drives via nfs

Linux PPC box has the mounts in it's fstab, and has the display variable set to 192.168.0.2:0.0 (win2k box)

The 2k box is running x vision at startup.

All i have to do is start X Cd roast and it apears on the win2k box :D

Edit: Also X vision lets you make shortcuts for apps on my Unix/Luinux machines :D

Associate
Thats cool, time for another Linus Torvalds Quote:

Shak

Oddly enough that didnt cause any problems at all... the problem was that linuxPPC (q4 1999 disk) is based on redhat, which insists on using x for the installer, however dispite following the instructions on how to convince it to run on an rs/6000 it just wouldnt have it... so i was buggered, right up untill i got x vision :D

Most of the PPC distro's seem to dispise my rs/6000 for some reason :D

Back
Top Bottom