Reserator suitable for the following?

Associate
Sorry, bit late spotting this thread!

Check my sig and buy one! However, do remember to allow for a bit of air flow though the case as other bits do get hot. My Sonata has a 120 blowing onto the memory and a 120 exhausting out the back. These fans can be set on 'low' and are then almost inaudible!

Please don't rely on the Seasonic for air flow. this PSU is so efficient it hardly needs any cooling so it moves moves very little air.

My Reserator is silent and cools CPU, Graphics and northbridge on the same circuit.

The beauty of the Reserator is that it's independant from the PC so it runs 24/7 and it's cooling 24/7! Even when you're not using the PC, and even when it's switched off, the PC is getting cooled down.

;) TIP ;) For HEAVY overclocking sessions turn up the fans, wrap the tower with thin card (I use multiple sheets of A4 'cause I'm cheap) then slap a fan on top to suck air through the tube to cool the fins. Simple but VERY effective, I promise you won't be dissapointed!

p.s. It does cool better if you can keep the Res' and PC at the same level! :)

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't bother cooling the northbridge personally, I'd just invest in an aftermarket heatsink for it, as it doesn't generally need water or benefit from it in any way, and its extra heat in the loop for no reason.

Associate
Webzta said:
I wouldn't bother cooling the northbridge personally, I'd just invest in an aftermarket heatsink for it, as it doesn't generally need water or benefit from it in any way, and its extra heat in the loop for no reason.

Fair comment Webzta but I wanted to cool the mobo without too much fan noise and this dropped the mobo temp considerably. Before, with low fans, the mobo temp could rocket above CPU temp! :eek:

Soldato
My reserator is cooling a Barton 2500+ overclocked to 2400MHz, 1.6V. This is a much warmer chip than my San Diego, and it's fine. It's also cooling a 6800 Ultra at 460MHz, but I can't compare the heat with a 7800 because I've never had one. Overclocked and silent, it's on 24/7, can't ask for much more.

Associate
stvmor said:
Fair comment Webzta but I wanted to cool the mobo without too much fan noise and this dropped the mobo temp considerably. Before, with low fans, the mobo temp could rocket above CPU temp! :eek:

Fair enough, I Use a passive northbridge cooler on all my motherboards, and works fine, heavily clocked also.

I'm using one off an epox motherboard atm, full load it hits 32~ idle 27 iirc.

Watercooling looks cooler though :p

Associate
Clown said:
My reserator is cooling a Barton 2500+ overclocked to 2400MHz, 1.6V. This is a much warmer chip than my San Diego, and it's fine. It's also cooling a 6800 Ultra at 460MHz, but I can't compare the heat with a 7800 because I've never had one. Overclocked and silent, it's on 24/7, can't ask for much more.

The 6800 series throw out more heat/take more power than the 78x i seem to remember.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies - I've ordered myself a shiny black Reserator which will hopefully be with me tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait another week or so until I have all the other parts to put it all together but I've bought a 3700 San Diego and a BFG 7800GTX so the Reserator had best be good...

Associate
Temps with Reserator

My PC is rarely idle but with general surfing, music etc temps are:

CPU: 32-33
Mobo: 32-33
Gfx: 33-38

When gaming/benchmarking for long periods (we are talking hours here) with fans low and timings from sig' below:

CPU: 46
Mobo: 40
Gfx: 57

I have reached 49/42/67 but this was with fans on low and Reservator on table with PC below on floor, so not recomended!

During maximum overclocking sessions (almost 3 Gig on 3700 CPU!) and running 3Dmark06 I get:

CPU: 42
Mobo: 34
Gfx: 50

However, with some active cooling I can overclock everything to the max and loop 3Dmark06 whilst maintaining:

CPU: 37-39
Mobo: 34
Gfx: 42-43

Hope this data helps somebody! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, it saddens me to say that i had to take the FX55 out of the loop last night.

With the heat it pumps out, after a few hours along side the X1900XTX it was getting near its limits and the Zalman was pretty damn hot.

Ive now got it running on the graphics card on its own, which makes this a pretty expensive VGA cooler :( :D

The system is still pretty silent though as the Zalman aero flower does a cracking job, and with Speed fan controlling the speeds its silent in 2d and ramps up in 3d

Im hoping when i move on from the Clawhammer FX55 and go to the next generation, it should be cooler to run with the Zalman Reserator

Associate
Im running a x2 4400 at 2.65 (1.475v) and a 7800GTX 485/1300.
After the system being on all day I can then do a good few hours gaming and the cpu will barely reach 50 c.

Cant wait to see this new add on fan :)

One question guys.....whenever you change the water,do you add the zalman anti-corrosion coolant or do you just add the de-ionised water.
or can you use any anti-corrsion additive?

Thanks

Associate
WepX said:
Cant wait to see this new add on fan :)
Have a look here for some pictures of the add on fan http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=517&Itemid=0&limit=1&limitstart=2

WepX said:
One question guys.....whenever you change the water,do you add the zalman anti-corrosion coolant or do you just add the de-ionised water.
or can you use any anti-corrsion additive?

Thanks
I have done two six monthly de-ionised only water changes and one with the zalman anti-corrosion coolant as well. The water was clear when it came out so there does not seem to be an algae problem (probably due to the opaque tubing). I have not noticed any temperature differences with the coolant, so I do not know how much purpose it serves in reality (other than helping to stop corrosion), but I thought it a good idea to stick it in anyway ;)

I expect other additives are as good if not better, but I trust Zalman stuff so I stuck with that.

Associate
Zarniwoop said:
Have a look here for some pictures of the add on fan http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=517&Itemid=0&limit=1&limitstart=2

I have done two six monthly de-ionised only water changes and one with the zalman anti-corrosion coolant as well. The water was clear when it came out so there does not seem to be an algae problem (probably due to the opaque tubing). I have not noticed any temperature differences with the coolant, so I do not know how much purpose it serves in reality (other than helping to stop corrosion), but I thought it a good idea to stick it in anyway ;)

I expect other additives are as good if not better, but I trust Zalman stuff so I stuck with that.

Thanks for the imfo' but I still think it's cheaper and better to do it yourself!
Just make up a thin card tube which fits over the WHOLE tower and pull some air through it with a fan on top. And remember, with this kit you can only ever cool to something ABOVE room temperature unless you get some real air velocity going via a HUGE fan and possibly 3-phase supply! :D ;)

Back
Top Bottom