Resident Evil :DS: 1GB Memory Card ?

Soldato
After looking online recently, ive read various "Rumours" that the soon to be released Resident Evil on our lovely beloved handheld will be the first ever 1GB DS game?

Anyone else heard this?

Seeing as the game is 2 games in one, the original PSX version (With original cheesy Voice over acting) and the NEW DS Res Evil, maybe rumours of a 1GB card are not totally bogus?

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Acording to this video it uses a 1 giga byte (not bit) card

Link for Resident Evil DS video

watch out the movie is 250 meg

in it the producer shows you the game, kinda shows you the FMV at the start, you also see and hear the start of the game in the main hall (chessy voice and all), it also shows you the coop and a few other things

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
£26.99 according to some off shore place.

I maybe wrong, but I believe Nintendo said at launch of the DS that much higher capacity would be made available for not much more than the then 256mb Cards.

As I said, its only speculation/rumour ive heard.

XPE said:
........... watch out it 250 meg

Isnt 1 giga byte equal to 1024mb?

Last edited:

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Gimpymoo said:
£26.99 according to some off shore place.

I maybe wrong, but I believe Nintendo said at launch of the DS that much higher capacity would be made available for not much more than the then 256mb Cards.

As I said, its only speculation/rumour ive heard.

Isnt 1 giga byte equal to 1024mb?

the link to the video i posted is 250 meg not the 1GB DS card :p

Soldato
OP
Bonjour said:
Yeah, 1GB is 1024MB.

£26.99 for 1GB of solid state storage. My how things have changed..

VERY much so. Although, Kudos to Ninty, Solid state storage WILL BE the media of choice for EVERYTHING in the future, may as well start using it now... UMD's, PAH..................... Awaits fanboy attack.

Commissario
that's one big memory card.

However, traditionally the memory used for carts, is relatively cheap compared to flash or random access memory.
Given that Nintendo can/will be buying them in bulk I can quite beleive they will be getting the memory very cheaply (especially as they have a very close relationship with one of the big manufacturers that goes back years).

[edit]
A thought that just occured to me, Nintendo probably only have the cost limits for the memory cards to worry about when it comes to capacity (at least until they reach at least 2gb).
Which means that if the memory prices keep dropping and density keeps increasing (which it will), they could end up with 2gb+ game carts by the end of the life of the DS*, whilst Sony are stuck with the physical limits of the UMD.

*Depending largely on the limits of the file system/memory address system used (is it 16bit, or 32bit?).

Associate
According to some sources, the card capacity of Mario Kart DS is 256 megabits, therefore only 32 megabytes... I'm really not sure; I've been told various different things on the subject by different people.

If the capacity of Resident Evil is 1024 megabits/1 gigabit, then it will be 128 megabytes in traditional terms.

Man of Honour
IIRC Ultimate Spiderman on the DS is a 512mbit cart - which is 64mb in real terms. ;)

In theory the DS should be able to access 2gb of flash...

As for RE: DS - I'd go with 1gbit rather than 1gb. A 1gb cart when the current largest ones for the DS hover around 64mb is one hell of a leap.

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
OP
XPE said:
........... watch out it 250 meg
Nice editing skills there ;)

WANG, the size of the cart is 1 GIGABYTE.

Werewolf, following on from that comment and slightly off topic, is it possible that future PSP games MAY use dual media (UMD AND Memory Stick) in a similiar way to the Sega MegaCD?

I know it sounds weird but it would be one way of overcoming the limitations of the UMD.

Associate
Well, until I see concrete evidence to the contrary, I will assume the cartridge capacity is 1 gigabit.

Practicalities aside, there isn't any real need for that much storage. The DS uses low-quality textures and has a very small screen resolution (there latter makes the former possible without a perceivable loss in eye-candy). I just can't Nintendo making that sort of jump unless it was absolutely necessary.

Associate
Pretty sure they must mean mega/gigabits. I had a go on my cousin's shifty flash carded DS. It plays as well as you'd expect with the dodgy standard RE controls. The FMV is heavily encoded. The intro movie is bordered and that classic first FMV short of the hungry zombie glancing back at you is very blocky. Oh and the voice acting is taken from the original too! Enjoy your Jill sandwiches :D Apparently the sequel to Project Rub was 1 Gbit too so I guess its not the first one?

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Gimpymoo said:

Werewolf, following on from that comment and slightly off topic, is it possible that future PSP games MAY use dual media (UMD AND Memory Stick) in a similiar way to the Sega MegaCD?

I know it sounds weird but it would be one way of overcoming the limitations of the UMD.

Well i though i would try and stop any one else from miss under standing it ;)

Associate
Gimpymoo said:

No. It's 1 Gigabit, the 2nd 1Gb game released for the DS following 'Where Do Babies Come From?' (Feel the Magic 2)

It being 1GB would be completely illogical anyway, the majority of DS games are 64MB, RE:DS being 16x the size would make no sense.

Back
Top Bottom