• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Resource monitor and overdrive displaying different Cpu usage during Prime 95 small fft test?

Associate
HI I've just brought a new motherboard -Gygabyte 990fx Gaming- because either my old motherboard or the cpu was faulty. I'm in the processes of running a prime 95 small fft test with the new motherboard running on default settings -prime 95 tests were failing after about 13mins before- and it seems to be running fine at the moment. I've never done much overclocking before and only recently started using prime 95. I'm running an 8core AMD FX8350 CPU and have the number of cores in prime 95 set to 8 on the torture test. Despite this resource monitor/Task manager only reports the cpu running at 95/6%. I'm also using overdrive to monitor the heat of the cores and overdrive displays them as running at £100%. While running tests with the other motherboard resource monitor also stated that the cpu was only running a 95% but I assumed it was because the board /cpu was faulty.. Is this a problem? I've looked at a few tutorials online that say the cpu should be at 100% for a small fft test, but as I said the test is running fine. Any advice would be great. Sam

Soldato
Would this not be because task manager lowers the priority of other applications (I.E prime) or something? I would have expected anythings CPU usage to drop while task manager was active.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your quick reply. I mean the overall CPU usage is meant to be at 100% whilst the test is running. I get that the cpu usage of the program would have to drop to allow for task manager/overdrive to be running. The youtube tutorial I was watching (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56VO13uOd1U) on how to use Prime 95 had someone using task manager whilst running prime 95 to demonstrate that the cpu needed to be maxed at 100% and there's was showing the cpu at 100%.

Back
Top Bottom