1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoring the windows bootloader?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Psyk, 20 May 2006.

1. Psyk

Sgarrista

Until recently I had Linux as well as XP on my machine. I used GRUB for my bootloader. Now I can't boot without a boot CD with GRUB on it (the boot partition that stored the GRUB files is gone). Is there a way I can restore the MBR so it uses the standard windows bootloader?

Ps. Please tell me if I'm talking absolute crap since I don't know exactly what I'm doing.

2. reddeathdrinker

Wise Guy

You need to boot up using a Win98 boot disk that has FDISK on it.

the command you require is:

FDISK /MBR

3. Psyk

Sgarrista

Why windows 98? I think my boot CD has fdisk on it so I guess it'll work with that.

4. reddeathdrinker

Wise Guy

Also, apparently (not tested by me), you can boot up your XP install CD to the recovery console, and use the command "fixmbr"

5. |Ric|

Hitman

i can confirm that fixmbr works from the xp recovery console as I used it

Slight catch is I can't remember whether I used fixboot or fixmbr. I think it was fixboot that finally fixed things (when I had grub from ubuntu) but I ran both on 2 different xp partitions with no adverse effects

You may want to read up on whether it is fixboot or fixmbr.

To get to recovery console put in windows cd, boot from it, press r to enter recovery console when it asks. you need your admin pass.

6. Psyk

Sgarrista

Any way to do it without a disc since I don't have mine at hand at the moment?

7. |Ric|

Hitman

I don't think so unfortunately, it is possible to install the revoery console on to your pc but you need to have access to it in the first place :)

Only other option is a windows 98 bootdisk and try fdisk - but I would personally recommend the xp tools simply as that is what they are designed for (fdisk will probably only do the equivalent to fixmbr and I am pretty sure it is fixboot you need)

8. daven1986

Mobster

i used fixmbr, however if that doesn't work try fixboot.

daven

9. Psyk

Sgarrista

I found a copy of XP pro I had burnt to a disc (legal in case you ask :p ) and used that. Thanks for the help :)

10. Tosk

Wise Guy

yea ive used the recovery console loads of times, and use the command "fixmbr" to fix many pcs, that have lost its bootup for xp :)