Restoring the windows bootloader?

Soldato
Until recently I had Linux as well as XP on my machine. I used GRUB for my bootloader. Now I can't boot without a boot CD with GRUB on it (the boot partition that stored the GRUB files is gone). Is there a way I can restore the MBR so it uses the standard windows bootloader?

Ps. Please tell me if I'm talking absolute crap since I don't know exactly what I'm doing.

Associate
i can confirm that fixmbr works from the xp recovery console as I used it

Slight catch is I can't remember whether I used fixboot or fixmbr. I think it was fixboot that finally fixed things (when I had grub from ubuntu) but I ran both on 2 different xp partitions with no adverse effects

You may want to read up on whether it is fixboot or fixmbr.

To get to recovery console put in windows cd, boot from it, press r to enter recovery console when it asks. you need your admin pass.

Soldato
OP
|Ric| said:
To get to recovery console put in windows cd, boot from it, press r to enter recovery console when it asks. you need your admin pass.
Any way to do it without a disc since I don't have mine at hand at the moment?

Associate
I don't think so unfortunately, it is possible to install the revoery console on to your pc but you need to have access to it in the first place :)

Only other option is a windows 98 bootdisk and try fdisk - but I would personally recommend the xp tools simply as that is what they are designed for (fdisk will probably only do the equivalent to fixmbr and I am pretty sure it is fixboot you need)

Soldato
OP
|Ric| said:
I don't think so unfortunately, it is possible to install the revoery console on to your pc but you need to have access to it in the first place :)

Only other option is a windows 98 bootdisk and try fdisk - but I would personally recommend the xp tools simply as that is what they are designed for (fdisk will probably only do the equivalent to fixmbr and I am pretty sure it is fixboot you need)
I found a copy of XP pro I had burnt to a disc (legal in case you ask :p ) and used that. Thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom