1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restricting web access

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by daven1986, 14 Oct 2009.

1. daven1986

Mobster

Hi all,

I wish to limit web access to only a few websites with all other websites being blocked.

Easiest way to do this via software / windows (i.e. not router).

Thanks

Daven

2. Dazzy_G

Wise Guy

opendns that is all.

3. tntcoder

Mobster

Not really all is it? Incredibly easy to bypass.

Who are you trying to block? If its kids then yer go with OpenDNS, someone who's determined to view the sites, will find a way if you're limited to using host based blocking methods.

To do it properly with any chance of success you really need something on your network or router which combines methods like DNS checking, keyword scanning, proxy blocking etc.

A white list is the best way, could that be an option for you? i.e just allowing vists to a pre-defined list of sites?

Last edited: 14 Oct 2009
  4. Dazzy_G

Wise Guy

I supplied the man with what he asked for.

OpenDNS is the easiest way to do it without touching the actual network side of things.

5. daven1986

Mobster

Thanks, it doesn't need to be anything 100% unbreakable. It is for someone with learning disabilities, so they don't happen upon any sites with unsuitable content but they are determined to get the internet! I just want to make sure that they can go to the BBC and some other sites.

A white list can work - how would I go about doing it?

Also I will check out opendns.

Thanks

Daven

Edit: it seems that opendns doesn't yet have a whitelist.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2009