1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** Retina MBP Haswell Version **

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by Spit, 27 May 2013.

1. Spit

Perma Banned

So we all know this will be coming shortly. What do you want from the device?

What I am hoping is that they will drop discrete graphics this time on the 15" as well as the 13" but only if they go for the full GT3e version of Haswell. This will give us current 650m type performance all the time but with better battery.

More on that:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6926/intel-iris-iris-pro-graphics-haswell-gt3gt3e-gets-a-brand

Apart from that I love the current form factor and screen. They could put a next generation SSD in as well but not essential.

I will be ordering the 15" with 16Gb and 512Gb SSD.

Cannot wait.

2. ChrisD.

Caporegime

What's wrong with your current Retina MacBook Pro? Or do you like wasting money.

3. Logsi

Capodecina

I hope they update the iMacs and Mac Pros or i'll probably jump ship again to building a PC. I have no use for a laptop anymore but i hope they do update the line.

4. Spit

Perma Banned

Waste money, how?

Whats the difference if I upgrade in 3 years and it costs £750 or in 1 year and it costs me £250?

5. Nymins

Sgarrista

Hopefully the GT3e in the 13".

6. jb7

Gangster

I'm selling my 15" rMBP on ebay this week. Hopefully I'll get more for it as most people don't know the new one is coming

Stuck using a windows laptop since then.. it's so painful. Why a windows OEM can't make a decent trackpad is beyond me. Not an amazing one, just a decent one

Though if Apple release 1920x1200 Macbook Airs.. I could be tempted to get one of those instead (but knowing them, they'll go 1440x900 again)

7. theheyes

Sgarrista

So it's going to be Iris powering the Retina. Could they not think of anything Cornea?

8. Fallen god

Soldato

I doubt it is going to be as fast as the 650m apart from maybe a few select games the 650m in the MBP is also overclocked.

9. sports_brah

Thug

My asus trackpad is excellent, lots of gesture based movements.

Oh and it cost sub £260.

10. xxShinobixx

Hitman

Is there an official date for this version of rMBP? I have not seen anything yet.

11. jb7

Gangster

I'm on my new Asus vivobook whilst I sell my rMBP. Cost £400, and the trackpad is still rubbish :D

Trackpad size is decent (not great), cursor has a tendency to stick and then jump half way across the screen. Gestures are hit and miss

Also it's Windows 8, so it'll perform gestures even when you don't want it to

I'm yet to come across a windows OEM that gets this even slightly right. Apparently the new Samsung ones are decent, but they're not out yet

12. Marky

Capodecina

I'm also going to be ordering the new Retina MacBook this year - However, with regards to the Haswells graphics performance - I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sure it's much better than the previous generation of processor, but I just can't see it being as good as they say (in laptops at least).

13. Nymins

Sgarrista

They probably won't match something like the 650m exactly, but the GT3e will have similar performance. The main benefit will be massively improved battery and a much cooler system. The 15" seems to have trouble keeping itself cool when gaming.

14. Ryan-3

Sgarrista

If the Air's get a higher res screen, the 13" might be my choice - unless the 13" rMBP gets the GT3e. :)

Don't want to have to lug about a 15" :p

15. thewanted

Soldato

I've been waiting a year for this MacBook refresh. I wanted the Retina MBP when it was released in June 2012, but didn't want to be a beta tester for ~£1500.

Still slightly undecided between the 13" and 15", but I'm leaning towards the 15" unless the 13" gets a quad-core CPU and 16GB RAM (very unlikely).

Hurry up 10 June!

16. Ryan-3

Sgarrista

Or why can't they just put Windows on them, maybe with a few wallpapers, and thats it. None of their bloatware rubbish. Hugely annoying.

17. Spit

Perma Banned

What do you mean beta tester?

18. hyper_piper45

Mobster

The main thing I am hoping for is 802.11ac WiFi.

19. thewanted

Soldato

I'm not a big fan of 1st generation products. There were lots of reports of the retina MBPs (15" in particular) having creaky cases, and I think hinges too.

In addition, the LG screens proved to be problematic due to their image retention issues.

I'm not naive enough to think that the refreshed Retina MBPs won't have issues, but in terms of risk I think the 2nd generation will be the better option.

20. Ryan-3

Sgarrista

Hopefully they won't have any LG screens for the 2nd gen. :)

But I know what you mean, often with a totally new product, you spend the first few month with all of the little problems before its exactly right.