** Retina MBP Haswell Version **

Associate
I am thinking about this. Should i get the Air now or wait for the Retina version. I've heard that the retina res is rubbish for running Windows so it might be a waste of money. have a retina with a 11" screen will be wayy too small.

Soldato
Its not long now, so I'd wait to see what gets announced. I don't expect a retina Air as it would make it thicker, and 'less portable'.

On the retina's, you can scale the UI in both OS X & Windows, so it appears larger, and you get to keep high res, as well as not needing to squint to use the thing :)

Soldato
Not sure, but a few of the programs that aren't for retina are meant to look bad at retina resolutions.

I know you can still turn the screen resolution down though, but it does sort of defeat the point of the screen.

Soldato
The cost is pretty crazy though (well for that chip in the anandtech review). Hopefully the pro versions will trickle down to the i5 notebook models.

Soldato
Personally, I don't think the processor is good enough to get rid of the discrete graphics just yet. I hope they keep the discrete card, update the processor and keep the same battery. Apparently, if they did that we could expect battery life of around 10 hours :)

Associate
What gpu will they go for this time if they keep the discrete card?

I'm hoping for the 765M, 770M is probably a bridge too far :(

Razer have managed to squeeze one into their new 14 inch Razer Blade, will Apple do the same?

Permabanned
OP
Think people are missing the point. The Iris 5200 Pro will enable OSX to have 650m equivalent power all the time. The main thing people were moaning about is the slight stuttering with the retina resolution. I would love near the speed of the 650m in OSX but with integrated graphics battery life. Epic win.

The rMBP is not a gaming machine and never will be, it is a computer to run businesses on and be creative on the move. Switching between 2 chipsets is messy and not Apple like, but they had no choice in the past.

I want a computer that has great speed in OSX/retina all the time and epic battery life as well. I think that is what Apple has always strived towards and with Haswell/Iris Pro that is what they are going to get. I hate it when I see the 650m kick in when I am using Final Cut Pro as I know my battery life is gonna dive.

It doesn't make sense for Apple to go down the discrete graphics route this time round imo.

I think we will see:

15" with same chassis and screen.
2.4GHz/2.6GHz Haswell with Iris 5200 Pro.
Same memory choices.
Same SSD size choices with improved SSD speed.
Greatly enhanced battery life with claims of the first all work day battery life, 8+ hours.

If we get that I will be over the moon as it will be an awesome OSX based computer.

Soldato
Hopefully. Would like to see the 5200/5200 pro in the 13" as well, but I guess they would probably hold that off for the 15" to warranty the step up in price.

Always fancied a Macbook, may treat myself this time round if the price doesn't jump up and the performance is improved.

Soldato
Think people are missing the point. The Iris 5200 Pro will enable OSX to have 650m equivalent power all the time. The main thing people were moaning about is the slight stuttering with the retina resolution. I would love near the speed of the 650m in OSX but with integrated graphics battery life. Epic win.

The rMBP is not a gaming machine and never will be, it is a computer to run businesses on and be creative on the move. Switching between 2 chipsets is messy and not Apple like, but they had no choice in the past.

I want a computer that has great speed in OSX/retina all the time and epic battery life as well. I think that is what Apple has always strived towards and with Haswell/Iris Pro that is what they are going to get. I hate it when I see the 650m kick in when I am using Final Cut Pro as I know my battery life is gonna dive.

It doesn't make sense for Apple to go down the discrete graphics route this time round imo.

I think we will see:

15" with same chassis and screen.
2.4GHz/2.6GHz Haswell with Iris 5200 Pro.
Same memory choices.
Same SSD size choices with improved SSD speed.
Greatly enhanced battery life with claims of the first all work day battery life, 8+ hours.

If we get that I will be over the moon as it will be an awesome OSX based computer.

It will also benefit those going to bootcamp too as Windows won't be limited in what GPU it can see giving similar battery life to OSX.

A Haswell version with Iris 5200 Pro GPU in the 15" rMBP will probably sell it too me :)

Associate
I'm selling my 15" rMBP on ebay this week. Hopefully I'll get more for it as most people don't know the new one is coming

Stuck using a windows laptop since then.. it's so painful. Why a windows OEM can't make a decent trackpad is beyond me. Not an amazing one, just a decent one

Though if Apple release 1920x1200 Macbook Airs.. I could be tempted to get one of those instead (but knowing them, they'll go 1440x900 again)

I've yet to find a half decent windows laptop that offers 2 finger scrolling, so annoying.

Caporegime
A Haswell version with Iris 5200 Pro GPU in the 15" rMBP will probably sell it too me :)

& then there is the battery life! :D

LOL, I was thinking that.

Every generation they promise better power saving but every generation the core of the machine gets faster, higher res screen, more pixels to push, higher pixel counts, higher number of tasks from the ever more complex OS etc. So it end up and balacing act that is always never tip over one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom