Retro Console repairs?

Soldato
Hi

So i have not been able to get my Bung Doctor V64 working, power supply seems to be working so must be the unit its self, i would not even know where to start with trying to sort out, has anyone ever sent anything off for repairs? not really sure what to do, due to its rarity i want to make it comes back :p

Caporegime
When you say the PSU is working, I assume that means you have measured the voltages out of the PSU? Next step would be to check the voltages inside of the V64 itself (easy to check the CD-ROM drive rails for instance).

If there’s no obvious issue with voltages, the next thing would be to check for physically damaged components (blown caps and the like), or the good old “finger thermometer” to check for chips/components getting suspiciously hot (notably hotter than similar surrounding chips for example).

You can stab around checking for shorts, but without a telltale sign, that literally will be a stab in the dark, unlikely to be fruitful.

After that you are into the realms of logic probes and oscilloscope readings basing your findings from datasheets and (if you can find them) technical documentation for the product itself.

Start with the basics before resigning yourself to sending it off!

Soldato
I'd follow paradigm's advice and prove the psu works at the correct output voltages... even the wikipedia suggests the first thing to go will be the psu!

Back
Top Bottom