Retro Gaming and Vintage Computing - * Updated 21/08/23 *

Don
What this forum is for:
Discussion of "Retro" Consoles and Computers - in general everything pre-2006 (see the non-exhaustive list below)
Discussion can include anything relating to old games and software, new hardware that is being produced, to show off your latest "retro" purchases, or any "retro" projects that you are currently undertaking.
Discussion of hardware modifications and the like is fine, as long as they are not predominately for the use of encouraging piracy/playing backed up games.
Discussion of FPGA (e.g. MiSTer) and other hardware reimplementation/emulation is allowed, providing discussion does not include ROMs etc.

What this forum isn't for:
Discussion of Emulators and ROMs is prohibited (this includes related topics such as "Abandonware", and legally questionable "fan remakes").

As per the previous rules laid out by the shop staff (in order to protect OcUK from any legal action) - this is NON-NEGOTIABLE:
Emulation
OcUK does not allow or condone talk of emulation, due to a number of reasons:

1. ROMS are for the most part illegal (or at LEAST in a gray area), this is due to a number of factors. While your Sega Mega Drive (Genesis if you're from outside of Europe) games may not seem able to turn a profit, remember that Sega are themselves still selling the games (therefore making profit, therefore not happy if you don't buy their products and download them). Examples including xbox arcade games, and the Sega Collections.

2. Emulators (the pieces of software required to play the games). Firstly, some require console bios' to function. To get that legally you'd have to dump your OWN console bios, which let's face it, 99.9 percent of people aren't going to do. And then in Europe (thanks to our slightly different laws on copyright compared to the US) it's a gray area. Secondly, some emulation is becoming copyrighted (Nintendo are themselves copy-writing emulators). Don't believe how they feel and think we're making it up? Read HERE: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#roms

I personally know of shops who've been legally threatened because they've IMPORTED games to sell, let alone dealing with emulation. I also know of someone else who has been sued because of selling something to help play homebrew games.

OcUK's stance shall not change on this unless the law does. Please cease any discussion of Emulation, whether this is emulation of a 'modern' console such as a PS2, or an older console such as a Master System.

*NOTE* This also includes fan made remakes. Unless they've the blessing of the original developer.

Additionally as a reminder, the normal rules regarding competitor hinting/linking and promotion of business interests still apply

FAQ:

"But I'm entitled a backup of X Rom for my own personal use as I own the original, why can't I discuss it?"
The rules are to protect the forum and shop, but just to clarify Nintendo's stance on this matter:
Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

"Why pre-2006? I think Y System is retro and should be discussed."
2006 represents a reasonable clean cut off point after the "sixth-generation" of consoles.

Discussion of "Retro" Consoles and Computers - in general everything pre-2000 (see the non-exhaustive list below)

"Why pre-2000? I think Y System is retro and should be discussed."
2000 represents a reasonable clean cut off point after the "fifth-generation" of consoles, that also coincides with a cut off point before Windows XP and Apple's move to OS X.

Last edited:
Don
OP
Consoles and Computer Systems for discussion:

Consoles - Sixth Generation or older (up to ~2006):
3DO Interactive Multiplayer
Amiga CD32
Apple Bandai Pippin
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Atari Lynx
Bandai Wonderswan
Gamepark GP32
Mattel Intellivision
Microsoft XBox
Neo Geo
Neo Geo Pocket
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Gameboy/Gameboy Color
Nintendo Gameboy Advance
Nintendo Gamecube
Nintendo NES/Famicom
Nintendo Super NES/Super Famicom
Nokia N-Gage
PC Engine/Turbografx-16
Philips CD-i
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Game Gear
Sega Genesis Nomad
Sega Master System
Sega Megadrive/Genesis/32X
Sega Saturn
Sony Playstation
Sony Playstation 2
Virtual Boy

Pre-2006 computer systems:
Acorn (Atom/Electron/Archimedes) etc
Amiga (500/600/1200//3000/4000) etc
Amstrad (CPC464/CPC664/CPC6128/PCW) etc
Apple II
Atari (400/600/XL/ST/TT) etc
BBC Micro
Commodore (Pet/16/64/128) etc
Dragon
Sinclair (ZX80/ZX81/Spectrum)
Tandy

PC and Apple platforms:
MS DOS
Windows 3.1/NT3.51/NT4/95/98/98SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista - Windows 7 and newer should be discussed in the main Windows forum
MacOS - anything pre OS X (e.g. classic MacOS 9.x - anything 68k or PPC architecture) - OS X and newer versions should be discussed in the main Apple forum

(Note this list is not exhaustive - if you feel something is missing then please let us know)

Last edited:
Don
OP
Can the Dreamcast sneak into this forum as a pre-2000 console;)?
Undecided, so happy to hear other views either for or against :)

EDIT:
Just to clarify - my reasoning for not would be that it's a "6th generation" console and so is not quite as clean a cut off
On the other hand pre-2000 should clearly be "pre-2000" :)

Does DosBox count as emulation?
No issue with DosBox as whilst an emulator of sorts, it's emulating an "open" platform, and is available bundled on Steam and GoG etc. Obviously still no mention of abandonware/warez in conjunction with it though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd say yes to DC as it was effectively killed off by the Ps2 and, whilst PS2s are generally pretty common, cheap and there are millions of games readily available, the dreamcast is only really used by people who specially want to have a dreamcast as a retro console.

The other way of looking at it is if it wasnt considered retro and allowed in this forum, it would be talked about in the general console forum to the great interest of no one at all :D

Soldato
I'm voting yes for the DC as well! 1999 release and gets the weirdest looks when non-gaming people look at it now... Even when they tease how fun it is to have a fishing rod controller.

Associate
Just to clarify, the ROM/emulation discussion ban is a complete blanket ban? No exception for explicitly legal stuff like the ZX Spectrum system ROMs or the Amiga Forever emulator package?

Don
OP
Just to clarify, the ROM/emulation discussion ban is a complete blanket ban? No exception for explicitly legal stuff like the ZX Spectrum system ROMs or the Amiga Forever emulator package?

I'm aware of Amiga forever but wasn't aware of zx spectrum legal status. I will clarify whether discussion is acceptable, but I feel to maintain clear boundaries at present the answer is likely no.

Man of Honour
Problem with an emulation blanket ban, there goes the nes classic, snes classic, new mini megadrive, neogeo x, TheC64, the RetronHD console and the like. It's ALL emulation.

Really should include Dosbox, virtual machines, Nintendo virtual console, xbox and playstation backwards compatibility too...

Don
OP
Problem with an emulation blanket ban, there goes the nes classic, snes classic, new mini megadrive, neogeo x, TheC64, the RetronHD console and the like. It's ALL emulation.

Really should include Dosbox, virtual machines, Nintendo virtual console, xbox and playstation backwards compatibility too...

All of which are legally above board, and openly discussed by their respective manufacturers. If anyone starts talking about how to sideload additional "romz" onto those hardware devices, then that's the line overstepped.

With regards to the mention of ZX Spectrum legality above - whilst the system roms are now legally redistributable, the vast majority of software still isn't (and as far as I know, there hasn't been a licensed Spectrum emulator package).

There is already a historical thread that mentions Amiga Forever, so happy for discussion on that to continue providing it doesn't diverge off track.

Soldato
Only just noticed this new forum section, well now i'm inspired to find a Gravis Ultrasound again and rebuild a DOS gaming machine!

Caporegime
I know this is being pedantic but the BBC Micro was manufactured by Acorn so surely it should be listed with those machines.

Being extra pedantic, the early Archimedes machines were labelled as BBC Computers....

Great sub forum! :)

Associate
I dunno why somebody can't just build an X86 board with something like a 25MHz to 100MHz processor built in and 32 MB RAM with a couple optional ISA/PCI ports and built in Video and sound with two PS/2 ports and a serial port, IDE & floppy connector made for MS-DOS. These would sell like hot cakes. Who knows China may end up producing some, besides there would be a huge market for it.

Back
Top Bottom