Return of the Jedi: original ending

Caporegime
Soldato
I prefer the original theatrical ending to the more recent 'update', I know that much.

The super happy ending is a bit cutesy but it does fit with the films overall. A bit of overshadowing gloom probably would've been good though.

I sure i read somewhere that Ford didnt want to do the third and only agreed to reprise his role if Lucas killed him off at the begining of Jedi. Wonder what changed his mind to do the entire film with a bunch of furry muppets cause knowing Ford i bet he loved that:rolleyes::D

Soldato
I'm all for 'non-Hollywood' endings, but I think with Star Wars, that's not really necessary.

If we look at the original trilogy only, The Empire Strikes Back actually had quite a downturn of an ending and certainly went against the grain already.

To end the final film on a sour note also wouldn't have really made sense. I'd also say that it's not all fun and games at the end. There is still the scenes showing how Luke manages to bring Anakin back to the Light side of the Force, but sadly doesn't survive. It might not overshadow the happy ending, but it doesn't make it complete happiness.

Associate
Man this is really a shame. Reading that article it sounds like such a great ending and the film could have really of taken some more interesting complex developments. Having Han die in an imperial attack and then focusing on how leia copes with her loss throughout the rest of the film sounds really interesting.

And to hear George stepped in to change the story so his merchandise would sell better says it all about how he started to lose the plot. Ohwell, ROTJ is still a great film non the less, and this is interesting to find out. Nice one for posting mate :)

Associate
ROTJ is by far the weakest of the Star Wars movies IMO. I always feel bad when watching it due to how it seems to trash everything that came before it as latest three would do again but on a greater scale.

This ending sounds great, wish it had gone ahead and given Empire a run for its money.

Soldato
I grew up with the SW films and loved them all equally as a kid. Over time though I've come to realize RotJ is a bit rubbish. All those atrocious latex puppets in the palace....and people complain about the CGI in the new films! I actually think Revenge of the Sith is a better film than RotJ now. Anyway, I think the happy ending was a better way to finish it at the time. The more downbeat ending would have had people screaming for more films, and I believe Lucas had had enough by then. He probably wanted some "closure" as well as the merchandising issues.

Soldato
My rankings after watching them all again recently is:

Empire > New Hope > Episode 3 > Episode 1 (Yes!) > RotJ > Episode 2

I should point out that New Hope was almost beaten by Ep 3 as it is really starting to show its age now. Episode 1 I personally just enjoyed as it was quick paced and l did like a lot of the ideas (of course there were many bad ones, but I don't find Jar Jar as irritating as most) and really liked the Neeson/McGregor combo. RotJ really just isn't great as pointed out above, Ep 2 is just terrible, the acting is absolutely atrocious. Luckily Anakin stepped up his game for the 3rd and despite not being perfect did pull it all off much better than I thought.

Empire though is a 10/10 film for me it is just a brilliant film. The rest all max at 8/10 for me, although New Hope started it all I can't watch it anymore and get the same awe as I used to.

Man of Honour
I've heard rumour somewhere that there were originally ideas for a further development of the plot as sequels rather than the expanded universe novels, and this 'original'' ending.

Still, were it not for the original ending, we would never have had one of the scenes from Robot Chicken Star Wars, Episode Two...

Back
Top Bottom