Return of the Jedi: original ending

Soldato
IIRc the reason that was given was that.

When Vader sacrificed himself to save Luke and kill the Emperor, in that moment, Vader ceased to exist, and he returned to being the good Anakin Skywalker. Therefore, his force ghost would appear as the good version of himself i.e young Anakin Skywalker, and not old man Darth Vader.

that is stupid, he still wouldnt have a clue who young anakin is as hes never seen him before....so he just sees some person who could be anyone as far as luke is concerned.
utter bs.

Soldato
I was 8 or 9 ?? when ROTJ first came out, to me as a child it is the prefect ending to the 3 movies, to me as an adult, sure a moody dark one makes more sense. Afterall there are a lot of loose ends to be tied or explored.

And you've hit the nail on the head with the series being aimed at kids...the films were U certificate, all of them, and the ending as described just wouldn't have fitted the rest of the series at all. The series as a whole I still enjoy, and I don't have an issue with the prequels (apart from Jar Jar and Jake Lloyd who was just awful...)

He might have written the later films to tie in to the toy market, but I like no doubt an lot of people of my age had hours & hours & hours of fun with those toys.

Man of Honour
Interestingly the film also got a title change after filming started: it was originally going to be "Revenge of the Jedi". Then someone decided that Jedi were nice people and therefore didn't have revenge, so it was changed to Return.

M

Soldato
Interestingly the film also got a title change after filming started: it was originally going to be "Revenge of the Jedi". Then someone decided that Jedi were nice people and therefore didn't have revenge, so it was changed to Return.

M

That was deliberate name change to get people to create false merchandise from the leaked name. The name was never going to be revenge as Jedi don't do that sort of thing...

Man of Honour
That was deliberate name change to get people to create false merchandise from the leaked name. The name was never going to be revenge as Jedi don't do that sort of thing...

I knew the niece of Anthony Daniels. Why would she have fake merchandise? And why would the crew and cast be told this story?

M

Caporegime
I'm glad, Han's a great character in the expanded universe ;)

The trouble is in the books Han is usually with Leia and those parts of the books are usually boring.

Lucas changed it because he decided a Jedi doesn't seek revenge.

I had an official early run story book with the title revenge of the jedi. Gutted now that I was at an age where I drew on it etc.

Definitely would have been better, although some of the ideas have been explored somewhat in the extended universe books...

How? Only one main character has been killed off. Hopefully they will kill off some more soon now Lucas has deemed the writers can kill off whoever they want except Luke.

I've read every novel post ROTJ except the latest series and 70% of them are better than any of the three films.

Prequel novels clone wars etc is far more hit and miss. The stuff set 1000's of years before New hope has so far been excellent. Bane trilogy was awesome :)

Associate
The trouble is in the books Han is usually with Leia and those parts of the books are usually boring.

How? Only one main character has been killed off. Hopefully they will kill off some more soon now Lucas has deemed the writers can kill off whoever they want except Luke.

I've read every novel post ROTJ except the latest series and 70% of them are better than any of the three films.

Prequel novels clone wars etc is far more hit and miss. The stuff set 1000's of years before New hope has so far been excellent. Bane trilogy was awesome :)

I quite enjoyed Solo's part in X Wing: Solo Command and The Courtship of Princess Leia (Just finished reading that one).

SPOILERS.

With the timeline of the most recent novels past the 40ABY (After the Battle of Yavin for the uninititated) mark, i'd say some main characters will die sooner rather than later. If the star wars wiki is right, and going by the recent book series:

Han Solo and Lando must be in their mid to late 70's, and Luke and Leia are in their 60's.

I think it's a bit far fetched to believe that they will all live to some ripe old age of 90+. I reckon there will be at least one main character death in the near future.

Caporegime
SPOILERS.

With the timeline of the most recent novels past the 40ABY (After the Battle of Yavin for the uninititated) mark, i'd say some main characters will die sooner rather than later. If the star wars wiki is right, and going by the recent book series:

Han Solo and Lando must be in their mid to late 70's, and Luke and Leia are in their 60's.

I think it's a bit far fetched to believe that they will all live to some ripe old age of 90+. I reckon there will be at least one main character death in the near future.

Yes it will interesting to see how they handle it. Although I must say I lost interest in the sequel stuff after the last set of books on Jacen. That was a pretty naff series of books. You can tell they don't know what direction to take the main characters anymore in particular Luke as they cannot kill him off.

Wzd

Wzd

Associate
Hmmm if they're replacing the puppet Yoda in Episode I, maybe they can finally update the crappy CGI Jabba in the Episode IV remastered version and actually make it look half decent :)

Soldato
Lots of rumours floating around about the blu ray box set having lots of bizarre changes. Darth Vader saying "No.....nooooooooo" when he picks up the Emperor, R2 being hidden by more rocks when hiding from the sand people, a larger door being the entrance to Jabbas place, puppet yoda from Ep1 being replaced with CG yoda to match ep2 and 3 and look more like the puppet from the OT. The yoda one I've seen video of and is real and it looks MUCH better. The puppet from EP1 was ****ing atrocious.

This is apparently all coming form leaked copies of the set, but I think I'll wait to see a proper review rather than assuming they are all real changes and not ones that have been created by trolls to wind up SW fans.

Honestly I love the films but I've only seen them al maybe twice (I don't have them on any format) so I probably wouldn't notice a lot of the changes if they were not pointed out.

Back
Top Bottom