Reverse camera wiring

Associate
So i've bought this double din radio satnav bluetooth etc unit (Eonon G2240) for my car (3000GT) which also comes with a reverse camera, but i've not really got a lot of experience with wiring things in so struggling with this a little bit.

This is the unit from the back :

unit.png

I found this picture about the camera online :

C1203-05.jpg

But mine is slightly different as it seems to have 2 wires comes out of it, instead of one.

IMAG5355.jpg

The camera has a black and a red wire coming out of it.

The black wire fits into another black wire, that ends in the big yellow plug (that goes into the head unit) and a thin red wire.

The red wire goes into a red plug, which ends in a thin red and thin black wire.

So i'm thinking :

1) Big yellow plug goes into the head unit at 'video in' port 17.

2) the little red one that's with the yellow plug, and called 'reverse image trigger line', i using a crimping tool to connect it to wire number 7 coming out of the head unit labelled 'reverse control'.

3) Then using the red plug ending in the thin red and black wires, i crimp the red wire into a 12v power supply. The actual connection harness allready has an extra power suply crimped in for my AFR gauge, and this has a free port :

IMAG5342.jpg

Then i crimp that thin red wire into the free red plug.

4) And then i'm suppost to do something with the thin black cable...

I'm not sure about step 2, 3 and 4, so any advice welcome :D

Soldato
If I'm understanding correctly...

Yellow plug is the video input, connects between camera and the reversing camera input as you said.

Connect the camera's power supply (the red plug and red/black wires) to an ignition live source. Black goes to any ground.

The red wire attached to the video signal cable triggers the head unit to switch to camera view mode, so you connect one end to the head unit #7, and it's probably easiest to splice the other end to one of the reversing lights at the rear.

Associate
OP
Cheers for replying.

Connect the camera's power supply (the red plug and red/black wires) to an ignition live source. Black goes to any ground.

This is the bit i struggle with.

I just noticed that power cable (red plug, ending in thin red & black wires) isn't that long at all, so that won't reach the front of the car, so i will need to find an ignition live source somewhere near the back of the car, but have no idea where to look for that.

Soldato
You could power it from the reversing lights as well. This depends on the "boot-up" time of the camera though, i.e. how soon after applying power will it start producing a video output? This might be annoying when you put it in reverse and it takes 5+ seconds for an image to appear.

Or just extend the cable.

Trial and error. :)

Soldato
On my camera I wired the live into the reverse light circuit as otherwise the camera wants to display the whole time the car is running.

I done this at the rear lights but you could do it up front easily enough too. Otherwise you'll constantly have to switch it on /off yourself

Associate
OP
Use the reverse light feed rather than ignition. No need to power the camera until you're reversing.

Posted from Overclockers.co.uk App for Android

How/where do i wire it into the reverse light feed.

Do i just try and find the back of the reverse light on the back of the car and look for a red cable there somewhere ?

Permabanned
This looks like my Reversing camera installation.

You got Yellow ---> Signal
One goes as ground to car body and
Second aka red is +12 turns camera and radio on when you put it in reverse. I got that +12 from reverse light bulb and you should do same :)

Then when you put your car in reverse it turns radio unit on in reverse camera mode.

Very cool thing i always put my car on reverse to turn Head unit on :D

picture how my works good luck :)
35917_137024112980118_3094346_n.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers for that.

I found the wire for my reverse lights, so i just the blue/red one of that to connect to the thin red one of the camera right ?

IMAG5360.jpg

I've bought this crimping tool which comes with a few terminals, but i'm not sure which one to use to split one wire (that 12v) into two (1 for the reverse light, and 1 to connect to the red wire of the camera).

Is there a special terminal that takes 2 wires ?

Soldato
Soldering is best tbh but you can either use one of these plastic snap on wire taps or crimp using a double ended open connector

I.e cut the current wire, strip it so it'll contact with the metal in the crimp connector, put hestshrink on, put one side in the connector then twist the other side together with the camera feed and slide this into the other side then crimp and hestshrink over the connection

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Haven't got any soldering tools (or experience) so i think i'll stick with my crimping tool, not that i've got much experience using that though...

I've found this picture online :

http://www.itsallgeek.com/IMG_0575.jpg

Can i do that with my crimping tool ? I thought each wire should have its own connector, or is it ok to put two wires together in one terminal ?

Soldato
There's 2 in 1 connector in that pic ;)

The bottom splice is a neater solution than what I said, either will work but at least with the individual spades you can quickly remove the camera if you would ever be transferring it

You also get screw on splicers for those who don't fancy soldering - no idea how good they are, would need a bit of room to sit in too but could be an option if you're really not.confident.

Last edited:
Soldato
re: the delay whilst the HU changes over to reverse camera mode...

You don't need instant (rear) vision on the HU unless you're doing repeated shunts forwards and backwards. Mine takes about 2 seconds to kick in.

Also on your "pin-outs" diagram it looks like you might have a dedicated reverse cam connection on port 19

My Hu (Pioneer 3400BT) reverse cam was wired :

Cam power spliced into reverse light and another wire ran up to headunit to switch HU into reverse cam mode (Port 7 on your diagram)

Video feed went into dedicated reverse cam input which is why I mentioned your "Back-sight" video input (port 19)

My Hu & cam install thread

Last edited:
Soldato
f'ing A :D good job!!!! though..... that rover in the cam looks a bit....flat xD are the blue lines supposed to be up in the air like that? might need some calibration/positioning adjustment? :) but well done!

Associate
OP
Had only wired it in, not installed the actual camera just yet, that's another issue i'm trying to tackle at the moment.

It was just resting on top of the bootlid, just above the 3000GT logo :

IMAG5376.jpg

Need to find a way to either install it just above the rear plate, but struggeling to get the wires through as there's no entry holes, or still and put it in the rear garnish where the key lock is.

Associate
Hi Team. I am very much a novice at wiring and at the moment. i am just testing the camera before the starting the process of wiring to the reverse light. The camera LED's turn on but nothing happens on the screen of the monitor. Any ideas or help is very much appreciated. thank you.

Back
Top Bottom