Reviving my old PC. New case required.

Associate
Hello,

In preparation for WoW Classic I am attempting to reincarnate my mid-range gaming PC I built in 2011/12:

* ASrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Motherboard
* Intel i5 2500k CPU
* PowerColor Radeon 6950 GPU
* 2x Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600mhz RAM
* XFX XTR 650W-BEF PSU
* Antec Kuhler H2O 620 CPU cooler
* 128GB Crucial MR 2.5 SSD
* Assorted Fans

The old case was a full size tower but because I'm now in my first home I don't have a desk for a PC. I'm hoping to re-house the parts into a small, horizontal case and hook the PC up to the TV.

I will be running WoW at 60FPS 1080p so I don't imagine I will be OCing the CPU. There may even be headroom to underclock. I suspect I can get away with a smaller profile aftermarket air cooler (original stock cooler is long gone).

The case can't be a tower and needs to look 'nice'. I'd like it to be as small as possible, but I doubt I'll be able to go down to HTPC size because of the PSU and GPU.

I am open to the idea of spending some money on new parts but only in the interest of getting the size/profile down, not performance.

Appreciate any advice you can give me.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the response. I know the full size mobo is a barrier at the moment. How about changing out the mobo and going down to micro ATX? Would changing the mobo cause any issues?

Windows 7 is installed on the SDD currently.

Soldato
w.it would be better to go for a cheap mid tower and put to the side of TV. ive listed 2 cheapo Mid tower cases that would be quite small footprint. Also listed some bitfenix matx cube cases.

also get a cheap win10 key from the bay or similar places.

the Phenom (and prodigy) is sort of cube case, its available in MATX for although the pure black is out of stock. Its very hard to build in though, watch some youtube videos (don't get mixed up with its ITX counterpart which shares the same chassis shell). It does look discrete in the living room though. on the cheaper end the kolink satellite, be very aware it takes only the smallest of MATX boards, I did another post on this somewhere.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £430.79 (includes shipping: £42.90)​

Back
Top Bottom