rickjames the n00b

Soldato
OP
Workout A 1/04/19

Squats 5x5 @ 20KG
Bench Press 5x5 @ 20KG
Barbell Row 5x5 @ 30KG

Not gonna lie, that was slightly more trickier than I remember it being. Think my form for bench press in particular with my elbows needs some work, same with barbell rows.

Also new routine compared to the last; up at 05:30, quick breakfast, cycle 3 miles to work/gym, gym at 06:30 and then shower and work/post-workout breakfast.

Soldato
OP
Workout B 03/04/19

Squats 5x5 @ 22.KG
OHP 5x5 @ 20KG
Deadlift 1x5 @ 40KG

Fairly achey from the Monday if I'm being honest, think it's a bit of a shock to the system. Will post some form videos in the next few days, my deadlift didn't feel particularly comfortable but again I'm not sure if it's just the initial soreness. Definitely think I might have something to work on with keeping the bar over my midfoot...

Man of Honour
Squat form video here https://photos.app.goo.gl/YFEzx3v9T7QEA8z96

Am I arching with my back slightly too much? I'm trying to push through with my buttocks, but it looks kinda ugly

Well, when you look at what happens when people arch their backs the other way, you might reconsider. ;)

Whilst I can't quite see what your legs are doing, I'd move your feet a bit further apart (just outside your shoulders to start) because they look a bit close. From here, you can use your glutes and quads to stabilise your squat rather than just your back.

But I'm in serious admiration of your ankle mobility - it's doing you a lot of benefit in your squat (i.e. your parallel is a LOT lower than 98% of the squats you'll generally see). I would, however, use that to your advantage and take your shoes off as I think they're masking the other weak points in your form...

Take another video from the back and we'll be able to tell... #srsface

Man of Honour
Workout A 5/04/19

Squats 5x5 @ 25KG
Bench Press 5x5 @ 22.5KG
Barbell Row 5x5 @ 32.5KG

Squat form from the sides https://photos.app.goo.gl/7zTPyQr4GH1dQrsc8 , moved my feet a little bit wider, but not 100% comfortable without shoes off just yet.

Barbell Row form feels awful

Right - I think we have it. As you may be able to tell, your squats are all at different depths which suggests that you're not actually using your glutes. So what do you do about that?

1) Take your shoes off...
2) Put a fractional (1.25/2.5kg) plate under the balls of your feet
3) Stick a box or stack of plates behind your legs that is the height of halfway between your ankle and knee (this is about as deep as you seem to be able to go without things breaking down)
4) Squat as *normal* onto the box/stack... the other alternative we could use is to do the squats in reverse: start at the bottom of the squat (in the hole) and push up...

The shoes are - I think - currently hiding your ankles rolling inwards and the weight pushing onto your toes; we can hopefully teach you the *right* movement by putting a plate under your toes to keep you off them. :)

The stack of plates will tell you where to squat to: I'm not saying "collapse like wet cement onto it" but you should get low enough to touch it very lightly - it's just there as a marker point.

The next phase (reverse squats are always hilarious because they show us how weak we actually are!) is to put a resistance band around your knees to prevent them collapsing in, but we'll get to that once you've tried the above.

Enjoy!

And what is wrong with your barbell row form? What is causing you grief?

Soldato
OP
I feel like they're at different depths because I don't want to go too low, if that makes sense? I can certainly feel like my glutes are being worked, anyway. Is the back fine? I feel like my desire to not over-arch is impending the former like you think it is...

As for barbell row I think my body doesn't feel comfortable in the stance yet, also not 100% sure my elbows are going high enough despite being able to get the bar to my torso without it elevating too much, absolutely kills my knees and hips

Soldato
OP
Workout A 10/04/19

Squats 2x5 @ 20KG, 5x5 @ 30KG
Bench Press 5x5 @ 25KG
Barbell Row 5x5 @ 35KG

Definitely some iffy form on the squats with my grip on my right wrist, lifts themselves were OK. Will have to take another video.

Barbell rows I'm not sure I'm doing right; whilst keeping my knees bent I'm trying to force the barbell up to the top end of my chest, which I think it putting me off balance as I try to stay in line for it. Again, will put another video up on Monday

Soldato
OP
Workout A 15/04/19

Squats 2x5 @ 20KG, 5x5 @ 32.5KG
Bench Press 5x5 @ 27.5KG
Barbell Row 5x5 @ 37.5KG

Back on it, felt iffy at first squatting with the knee but came through. Think I know the issue with my right wrist in that I wasn't keeping them straight with my elbows and they're taking the wait; taking a bit of used to and I'm kinda having to roll the back back up at times to keep it straight, but we'll get there.

Barbell Rows did me good.

Soldato
OP
How did you do that?

Again, cricket ball. Didn't want to risk it and it's still a little sore, but fine now with PRICE.

Back on it today

Workout B 22/04/19

Squats 2x5 @20KG, 5x5 @ 37.5KG
OHP 5x5 @ 27.5KG
Deadlift 1x5 @ 55KG

Still getting this small wrist pain on my right hand, going to watch some form videos and see if it's something I'm doing wrong; I think I'm giving myself enough space and trying to the pressure on my back rather than hands, but it's still giving me some discomfort.

Also another weekly 'I hate OHP'

Back
Top Bottom