Riding the clutch - Life span

Soldato
ive had 2 clutches from new on the fabia, 63k miles, so not too impressed on the second clutch an oil leak was found so my warranty covered most of the bill. riding the clutch is driving with your foot resting on the clutch thereby releasing some pressure of the pressure plate isnt it? This kills a clutch pretty quick.

Soldato
I went to Mr Clutch in swindon one saturday to get my clutch done when it suddenly started slipping really badly. Needed my car for work the next week, so was alarmed when they said it would take a few days for the part to arrive.

Drove across town (with barely any clutch, which was entertaining) to buy the part from the motorfactors myself, and got back within 40 minutes, and they did it for just the labour costs, which was nice :)

I thought they were pretty cool there, fitting me in and such - perhaps they have a new manager at the branch, or someone was just having a bad day?

Associate
OP
timbob said:
I went to Mr Clutch in swindon one saturday to get my clutch done when it suddenly started slipping really badly. Needed my car for work the next week, so was alarmed when they said it would take a few days for the part to arrive.

Drove across town (with barely any clutch, which was entertaining) to buy the part from the motorfactors myself, and got back within 40 minutes, and they did it for just the labour costs, which was nice :)

I thought they were pretty cool there, fitting me in and such - perhaps they have a new manager at the branch, or someone was just having a bad day?

The guy Colin who i saw was a complete idiot. Did you go to the one in stratton?

Soldato
moon man said:
ive had 2 clutches from new on the fabia, 63k miles, so not too impressed on the second clutch an oil leak was found so my warranty covered most of the bill. riding the clutch is driving with your foot resting on the clutch thereby releasing some pressure of the pressure plate isnt it? This kills a clutch pretty quick.

This is what I understood 'riding the clutch' to be; is this what you've been doing?
Also, who the hell taught you to coast to a junction with the clutch in? That's a test failure too. At least knock it out of gear in future :)
Do you have pics of the snapped clutch? Who's possession is it in right now?

Associate
OP
s0ck said:
This is what I understood 'riding the clutch' to be; is this what you've been doing?
Also, who the hell taught you to coast to a junction with the clutch in? That's a test failure too. At least knock it out of gear in future :)
Do you have pics of the snapped clutch? Who's possession is it in right now?

They just kept it, would have been rude to ask for it i thought!

No pics, basically its snapped so there are two thinner circles!

Was taught to coast, and i passed my test with three unrelated minors! Stopped now thought!

Soldato
I just wonder about the ability of some driving instructors (and examiners for not spotting it) if you were taught to coast. When you're coasting you aren't really in control of the car, you can't quickly accelerate if needed (say to avoid something)

Associate
OP
Right so my new clutch has been in 2 days. Its started squeaking already, like a groaning noise when pushing it in. Is this a problem already occuring?

Soldato
I think the method they have taught for a good few years now is to decelerate in gear and then clutch down at 1000 rpm ish before the engine starts to struggle.

They don't teach you to coast or go sequentially down the shift.

Having said that if a light turns red a distance infront of me I often knock the car out of gear and coast to it, not excessively though like some tools who crawl along at 3mph and end up 200 yards short.

EDIT- my grandad had many many hassles with Mr Clutch. His car would judder like crazy when pulling away. Just keep plugging away at them until you are happy with the job they have done.

Soldato
andy2k said:
When i picked it up they showed me the old clutch which was snapped, and said. You have obviosuly been riding the clutch, we shouldnt of fixed it but we did, If it goes again for the same reason we will not fix it.
Ha ha ha ha... no. Surely he cannot deny you a warranty based on his opinion of how you may drive, which is in turn clearly based, by his own admission, on a destroyed piece of mechanics?

Associate
OP
PMKeates said:
Ha ha ha ha... no. Surely he cannot deny you a warranty based on his opinion of how you may drive, which is in turn clearly based, by his own admission, on a destroyed piece of mechanics?

Exactly, thats why i will be making a complaint. They always blame there poor work on your driving. Has happened many times in there.

Soldato
all these opinions on using the clutch has now got me all confused... :confused: :p

What is the actual proper way of using the clutch for slowing down?

I change down a gear etc and use the engine to help me slow down until im going slow enough to push clutch and breaks in fully?? i am guessing this is wrong??!!? :confused:

Are you suppose to put the car in neutral and slow down using the breaks alone?? surely this is gonna kill your break pads pretty quickly and the better method would surely be changing down gear in terms of wearing parts out etc?

Soldato
fonzee said:
I change down a gear etc and use the engine to help me slow down until im going slow enough to push clutch and breaks in fully?? i am guessing this is wrong??!!? :confused:

That is the right way...

I dip the clutch more or less as late as possible.

Associate
fonzee said:
What is the actual proper way of using the clutch for slowing down?

When I was learning (2 years ago) my instructor told me to stay in the gear you are in, and then clutch in when the revs have dropped to around 1000rpm. So if you are coming to traffic lights in 5th at 40mph, stay in 5th till you stop at lights.

Soldato
why would anyone want to stay on the clutch for that time?
There is no reason to drive that way, use the cars engine breaking.
Im not suggesting everyone start heel and toeing in their fiat panda's but there is no need to "ride the clutch" back to the subject, whatever you were doing with it it should not have failed in 3 months, so get annother one on the warrenty, if there is a warrenty, they are legally abliged to replace it. simple as that.

Soldato
Riding the clutch is when you purposely let it slip usually for a hill start, obviously that promotes higher wear and tear but not as bad as your average burnout :D

They were trying it on imo and you are entitled to those old spare parts, its not rude unless you imply their dishonest or something. You have paid them well for the privledge and the parts belong to you unless its some sort of trade in deal.

Unless you go in there and make it clear that you are quite capable of doing the job yourself then the majority of garages will try to take advantage in one way or another in my experience.
Your better off dealing with a mechanic or one garage on a regular basis so you can get to know them and hopefully things will be a bit more friendly.

170 isnt an especially good price, I had a similar quote from Mr Clutch when shopping around in similar circumstances and found somewhere much closer to 100 with no hassles, did take a day to do though.

As its a franchise, maybe another branch would be more helpfull if theres any further trouble.

Soldato
My driving instructor would give me some serious grief if I coasted to lights, down hills and round corners. He used to say that brakes are to slow and gears are to go lol.

When I passed my test and Dad got int he car with me he taught ne how skow down using my gears, which is a useful skill.

Back
Top Bottom