Riding the clutch - Life span

Soldato
Behemoth said:
My driving instructor would give me some serious grief if I coasted to lights, down hills and round corners. He used to say that brakes are to slow and gears are to go lol.

When I passed my test and Dad got int he car with me he taught ne how skow down using my gears, which is a useful skill.

Ditto, granted I have been taught some useful stuff with my driving instructor, but since I have been passed I have been taught some right rubbish.

Quote: "WTF ARE YOU DOING RUNNING THE ENGINE AT OVER 3500 REVS HOLDING IT BACK ON THE GEARS DOWNHILL WHY DON'T YOU USE THE BRAKES WTFBBQ!?"

Ironically after this lesson my lesson after it was cancelled because the car needed it's disks and pads replaced. :p

Soldato
I was always taught brakes to slow gears to go...there are situations when using the gears could be useful, such as on a steep downbank to control my speed a little bit in addition to the brakes.

Hope you get it sorted.

Soldato
to be honest it sounds like a right cow boy outfit that the original poster took his car to. Complain to the highest level, I know I would, especially if they are going to refuse to work on the car if he has the same problem.

Soldato
I always use gears through corners and down hills and then brakes on top if theres a real emergency, nice to have a backup and gears balance the car better especially with no abs or other fancy stuff. Gears show greater thought imo they also take longer, anyone can slam the brakes on if need be

Just tootling upto a red light on level ground in good conditions is neutral and brakes though just because I cba tbh.

enfield - wish i knew but here is where I nabbed her from
http://www.50klicks.com/calendarimages/calbabes/9.jpg

Soldato
To me, gearboxes are more expensive than brake pads. Also, if your observation is good enough you shouldn't really be slamming the brakes on to adjust your speed anyway.

I was taught that going through the gears as you slowed and even came to a stop was pretty pointless, yeah on a hill if you need some engine braking fair enough but otherwise just use the brakes, you can have both hands on the wheel and better control of the car as well.

Associate
Whe I was doing my defensive driving course in Canada (on an automatic though so it was easy as hell) I was always told that stopping any way other than using the brakes is a bad idea as otherwise the break lights dont go on, making it more likely for someone to run into your back if they arn't paying much attention and cant tell your slowing down until its to late. I know the area I was in the big trucks at least were not allowed to use engine braking when they were approching lights near a town on the highway because of the braking lights not lighting up.

I dont know though, havent driven a standard in a year or so, and never really tried slowing down without the brakes. Does this method involve putting a slight amount of pressure on the brakes aswell to light up the brake lights?

Caporegime
b (thats it) said:
I know the area I was in the big trucks at least were not allowed to use engine braking when they were approching lights near a town on the highway because of the braking lights not lighting up.

Good job the engine brake on both Volvo & Scania's is activated by the footbrake then....

Don't ride the clutch.

Don't even use the clutch! - many transmissions will happily change gear without it, especially going up the box. ;)

Transmissions are indeed a lot more expensive than brake pads!

Soldato
Hehe, rather than ride the clutch I just drop it out of gear and let it roll :p

I've never had to accelerate to avoid anything and I don't know anyone else who has. To be honest (this may be wrong) but I was told it was best to slow my speed, stop dead or gently swerve to avoid any kind of oncoming accident. Adding more speed to the equation by accelerating can often make the situation worse - you may speed up to swerve and avoid a car coming at you but you could hit a person on the pavement.

Last edited:
Soldato
Vanilla said:
Hehe, rather than ride the clutch I just drop it out of gear and let it roll :p

I've never had to accelerate to avoid anything and I don't know anyone else who has. To be honest (this may be wrong) but I was told it was best to slow my speed, stop dead or gently swerve to avoid any kind of oncoming accident. Adding more speed to the equation by accelerating can often make the situation worse - you may speed up to swerve and avoid a car coming at you but you could hit a person on the pavement.

Bit of a crappy arguement. What if you need to accelerate to avoid someone T-boning you?

Soldato
Enfield said:
Bit of a crappy arguement. What if you need to accelerate to avoid someone T-boning you?

If I stop dead will the person go in front of me? Is stopping dead a safer alternative to accelerating? If I accelerate will I confuse the other dirver? Will he still hit me because he expected me to do what most people would do and stop? Would my eager acceleration and concentration on the other car lead me to crash into another car or person?

While i'm sure there are situations where acceleration has been needed I've never been in one nor have I met anyone who has. I'm unlikely to add add speed to an already dangerous situation, the only time I drop it out of gear and roll is coming up to a red traffic light.

Soldato
Vanilla said:
While i'm sure there are situations where acceleration has been needed I've never been in one nor have I met anyone who has.

Only the other day I had to accelerate in order to avoid a BMW X5 from T-boning me - if I hadn't he would have gone straight into my drivers door im sure of that.

I'm unlikely to add add speed to an already dangerous situation, the only time I drop it out of gear and roll is coming up to a red traffic light.

It all depends on the situation which was what I was trying to say really mate. :)

Associate
dont think mine has ever had a clutch. done 95k total miles.
i have done 15k of those, with just coasting on the clutch. it should be disengaged so shouldnt be wearing.

Back
Top Bottom