Right rawl plugs and screws for the job

Associate
We have recently extended the back of our house and are now adding final touches and would like some advice on a couple of jobs

we are putting a picture rail into a new wall, the wall is brick on the outside and breeze block inside, plaster boarded and then covered with brick tile slips. What would be the best way to screw into this? The rail is wood and it will have 3 framed prints on it

second I have a small shelf I want to put on the kitchen wall to put a radio and plant on. This would be going onto a wall which is breeze block, plasterboard, plastered and painted.

Any advice appreciated thank you

Soldato
Picture rail is traditionally nailed on then painted over. It's not supposed to hold any serious weight. I've screwed it using rawlplugs and 2" screws before but only because I was hanging carpet tiles floor to ceiling for sound treatment. It was overkill and I'm dreading removing and making good when I move out.

For the shelf it depends how much weight you expect it to take.

Soldato
Assuming normal breeze and not thermolite...

Normal woodscrews and plugs, I'd use browns (7mm hole, #10 screws) for the shelf, for your rail with a few pictures on I imagine reds (5.5mm hole, #8 screws) would be alright. Make sure you drill into the breeze and knock the plug all the wall into it before tightening the screw. Don't tighten too much on dabbed out walls or you'll crack them. When drilling tiles or brick slips make sure you switch hammer action off

Back
Top Bottom