1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rights and Wrongs of Seal Clubbing

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by WIBSBOT, 27 Mar 2006.

1. WIBSBOT

Hitman

BBC NEWS Report

I can't make up my mind whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. On the one hand it seems a neccessity to keep the seal population in check and also to allow the fish stocks to regenerate, after over-fishing for years by humans (and seals.) On the other hand, the babies are cute and furry and it is 'inhumane'.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ? - Has Paul McCartney got the wrong end of the stick ?

2. jezsoup

PermaBanned

It aint nice n defiantely not pretty but is providing much needed money to the locals and all. I can see the gorunds for the culls but Im wandering if theres a slightly better way to carry out this cull.

As for Mr McCartney I think hes a bit deluded living in his own world not seeing past the cute fluffyness and blood.

3. kibblerok

Soldato

If it needs doing, it needs doing.

Number management of animals happens all over the world, it just so happens these animals look cuter that people go over the top in condemning it.

4. Bar

Mobster

whats the difference between a seal and a dingo or a rat?

5. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Its strange how profitable environmental protection measures get taken a lot more seriously than ones that wouldn't have immediate rewards.

There is no excuse for seal clubbing. Should they desperately need to be culled, clubbing and skinning should not be an option.

6. UKDTweak

Soldato

If its ok to kill a defensless animal because they eat too much fish.... then its time we start culling children too....

Nothing over populates or does harm to the environment like a human.....

That my arguement, like it or not, you cant deny the truth :p

7. Bear

Capodecina

So surely there should be a cull of humans seeing as its the humans in the main that are causing the over fishing. Cant just blame the seals can we ??

Edit: Doh how slow was I in writing that :o

8. jezsoup

PermaBanned

ant deny it but the fact is we need food. controlling the seal population means theres more fish for us and the seal population is still ok, its not like they are endangered. Plus the cull rasies a fair bit of money! I reckon if they looked more like bulldogs lickin pee of nettles people wouldnt care two hoots about it!

9. jezsoup

PermaBanned

Erm course they are going to be taken mroe seriously its a win win situation we get more food and make money from the animals. No brainer really!

Agree though ont he clubbing thing there are more humane way to kill animals.

10. UKDTweak

Soldato

You have to remember that the seals are food for other animals/fish in the see, therefore by reducing the numbers we are reducing the food of other species, therefore not good for the environment, this will have a bigger impact on the sea then just fish for us to catch and eat !

However, cull a few kids and knowbody loses as we are supposedly the top of the worlds food chain and no other species relise on us for its diet.
    Win - win situation, seals live, less chavs on the street ??

11. Sleepy

PermaBanned

Would anyone care about this issue if seals cubs weren't so cute?
    Evidence for this assertion?
    Why not, if you've killed them why not utilise their fur/meat. To do otherwise seems wasteful.

12. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

If ugly animals were clubbed and skinned (possibly alive) then I would mind, along with many other people. Most creatures that are culled are generally lower forms of life, rather than mammals.

Its better described as an opinion... I don't believe there is any reason to club a seal when there are better methods available.

I don't believe anyone eats seal meat. I believe their fur is sought, and the product of this demand has led to some nasty practices as, it seems, does any skinning

13. bam0

Soldato

In the article it mentions that the seal population is now 3 times what it was in the 1970s, that makes me doubtful that other species are being affected by a scarcity of seals to eat, although if you can prove otherwise i'd be interested to see it.

14. Sleepy

PermaBanned

Thats very classist of you. Anyway what economically viable alternative can you offer? Or do you accept the reduced viablity of the local fishing industry?
    They are also shot, but my question still stands.
    You'd be wrong then.
    You might want to google when the culling of baby seals who were young enough to retain white fur was banned.

15. UKDTweak

Soldato

16. Sleepy

PermaBanned

17. UKDTweak

Soldato

And you believe your government ?

18. Sleepy

PermaBanned

1/10 Try again

19. Dolph

Man of Honour

Like most population culls, the only questions are

(a) is it necessary?

and

(b) are we doing it in the best method (both for animal welfare and enviromental impact)

What happens when the animal is dead (skinning etc) is rather irrelevant, as is, in all honesty, the question of whether people get any enjoyment out of it.

As I don't know the ins and outs of the situation and circumstances (and don't have the time or the inclination to research this particular issue in all honesty), I won't take a stance on whether the culling is necessary or the method appropriate, because any statement I make isn't likely to be a well thought out, carefully researched one.

20. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

I'd agree with that, except that often highly prized furs are not merely collected after death, and when a fur is prized it will have an influence on the popular method of killing the animal and potential strike points for any weapons