Rio gets 2016 Olympics

Man of Honour
We'll know in four years. They always announce olympics seven years in advance.

The next host city always puts on a show at the end of the previous games as part of the handover, so hopefully we'll get some carnival at the closing ceremony in London. :)

Soldato
I wonder if they will knock down the slums and build stadiums on top like they did in Beijing.
One area of the games will be redevolped compltely - so yes, in a way they will be knocking some of the Favelas down ;)

But the government here has been working hard since 2007 (Pan-Games) to at least control the violance/trouble from the favelas.

We'll know in four years. They always announce olympics seven years in advance.

The next host city always puts on a show at the end of the previous games as part of the handover, so hopefully we'll get some carnival at the closing ceremony in London. :)
I was jsut saying last night that it'd be great to se the closing in London and then flying back here for the opening.

Associate
Pretty glad Rio got it.

I saw on the news that NO South American city has every hosted the Olympics, but America has held 26~.

Should be a great atmosphere!

Man of Honour
Pretty glad Rio got it.

I saw on the news that NO South American city has every hosted the Olympics, but America has held 26~.

Should be a great atmosphere!

26? Are you sure about that? Maybe they've had 26 major World sporting events (although even that is a bit doubtful since I don't count the World Series of Baseball) but the modern Olympics only started in 1896 so we're only talking about 28 Olympic games in total (although not all happened due to war) and most of them have been outwith the US. Even including winter Olympics I only count 8 Olympics held in America.

Man of Honour
I'd be happy for Chicago to take the 2012 Olympics instead!

Yeah - pull the other one, it's got clonking great Church bells on. :/

Best change your choice of news outlet. According to this page, and assuming the table is correct (I've contested its accuracy as there's a rather obvious error on the page), the counts for the modern era are:

US - Four summer (1904 St Louis, 1932 Los Angeles, 1984 Los Angeles, 1996 Atlanta) and four winter (1932 Lake Placid, 1960 Squaw Valley, 1980 Lake Placid, 2002 Salt Lake City)
Canada - One summer (1976 Montreal) and two winter (1988 Calgary, 2010 Vancouver)
Mexico - One summer (1968 Mexico City)

To be fair, I've included all games on the North American continent. It's still much less than 26. :)

Back
Top Bottom