RIP My Kona Frame

Associate
Bennah said:
Could'nt you get another cheap seat pole or peice of pole that just the right size for the frame. Place it over the existing stuck one and smack it one. The old one coming out of the bottom if there is enough clearance.

Got any pics?

Wouldn't the bottom bracket have something to say about that??

Soldato
OP
Well, just as I was about to leave work today, one of my colleagues more or less took the bike out of my hands. Into the workshop we went, found a 1/2" dia. piece of mild steel bar, ground on chamfer on the end and knocked it in between the split sections of tube. He then told me to operate the vice, so I did.

There he was swinging the frame around gripping on less than 10mm of broken sections of tube, and lo, it moved! Then some more! And then out she came! :D

I had to file the rust out there was so much in the seat tube!

All I need now is a new seatpost and some grease...

Soldato
OP
Aluminium is potentially as bad though. You can get fun problems with aluminium oxide. Plus you can find quite a few ali frames on eGay where welds have failed.

The downside of steel is obviously rust, but they do seem stronger to me.

Soldato
But don't over lube. Or, as one of the guys I was out riding with in The Peaks last night, you spend half the ride pulling your post back up to the right height :D

Soldato
OP
Well, my bike is back on the road! :D

I purchased an Easton EA50 seatpost (now my saddle is the correct height for me), and a pair of Raceface Good 'n' Evil grips.

I also won an auction on evilbay in Italy for a pair of Manitou Skareb Platinum '04 forks. £70 plus £20 p&p- a bargain! I just hope the guy sends them to me, because I think they're worth quite a bit more really!

So that's it. I treated my bike, greased my post (fnaaaaar), and now to go for some nice long rides o'er the downs and get back into cycling properly again!

Back
Top Bottom