RIP Stephen Gately

Soldato
tis a bit strange that this is no mention at all of the cause of death yet

not even a hint from the news or anything

either way, a life taken too soon is always sad and sympathy to his family and friends.

Soldato
tis a bit strange that this is no mention at all of the cause of death yet

not even a hint from the news or anything

either way, a life taken too soon is always sad and sympathy to his family and friends.

The police have said no suspicious circumstances that they're aware of. I would assume based on his age a post mortem will be done. It could be a heart condition or brain problem that had not been diagnosed - equally it could be a drug overdose, poisoning, or anything along those lines.

No doubt a rumour will leak out next week before the truth eventually surfaces.

Caporegime
No offence, but why bother posting then? Do you post this in every thread where you haven't heard of someone?

Just curious to know what all the fuss is about, that's all. I mean, we're not exactly talking about Bob Dylan here, are we?

Can't say I was a big Boyzone fan but they were massively linked to 90s culture, I reckon the whole country in the 90s woudl've heard of them. He was very young as well so it's a shame.

Too young for me; I entered my 20s in 1992. I was dimly aware of Boyzone's existence (just another one of those teenybopper boy bands for pre-pubescent girls; they all look the same to me) but I had no idea what its members were called.

Associate
never striked me as a person who was heavy into drugs,i woud suspect he has had a underlining heart condition and had a major heart attack,,shame cos as a grup they was not bad..R.I.P

Soldato
As for suggestions to COD perhaps we should wait for the results of the autopsy rather than speculating foolishly !

Whats this, they rekon he ate a bad bit of fish :confused:

sadly enough, I saw that and thought "what's Call of uty got to do with this incident?" :confused:

but most likely alcohol poisoning, or got drunk passed out and ended up swallowing his own tongue or something else equally unpleasant.

either way, I highly doubt it was drugs or suicide, just a tragic accident IMO

Soldato
I'm finding the way the media are falling over themselves with tributes and coverage of this to be very offensive.

He was part of a band put together by record companies, singing songs they didn't write, or covers. The very essence of manufactured banal entertainment.

I have no malice towards him or the band at all. I just don't feel they're of any cultural significance whatsoever. And while people are wringing their hands about his death we seem to completely ignore the young lives lost in Afghanistan, or the people starving under oppression across the world.

Sorry if this upsets people, my intention is more to attempt to set perspectives right rather than insult anyone. I'm well aware the poor mans family and friends will be deeply upset by his death at such a young age.

Caporegime
And while people are wringing their hands about his death we seem to completely ignore the young lives lost in Afghanistan, or the people starving under oppression across the world.

As soon as society wakes up and rids itself of this pathetic celebrity obsessed culture, the human race can move on. Until then, it's stuck and possibly going downhill.

Soldato
I have no malice towards him or the band at all. I just don't feel they're of any cultural significance whatsoever. And while people are wringing their hands about his death we seem to completely ignore the young lives lost in Afghanistan, or the people starving under oppression across the world.

Post of the thread and couldnt have said it better myself.

My nephew, Gavin Elliott was shot and killed in Helmand 4 weeks ago. He got about 5 mins coverage total on the news, his funeral got another 5 mins.

Same applies just about all of our boys dying for their country in that hellhole.

Gately's death has already easily clocked 2+ hours coverage today alone, celebrity culture really is the thing that needs to die here.

Back
Top Bottom