RIP Stephen Gately

Soldato
Post of the thread and couldnt have said it better myself.

My nephew, Gavin Elliott was shot and killed in Helmand 4 weeks ago. He got about 5 mins coverage total on the news, his funeral got another 5 mins.

Same applies just about all of our boys dying for their country in that hellhole.

Gately's death has already easily clocked 2+ hours coverage today alone, celebrity culture really is the thing that needs to die here.

That's what I was trying to express.

Again - to be completely clear - I don't have any issues with the poor guy. It's tragic that he died so early, regardless of the cause of death. And it's tragic for his family and friends.

No sooner did I post though and a few people came around with the nasty sausage comments. There's a place for that called sickipedia, not these forums, and certainly not a thread where several people have already expressed their grief over it.

Caporegime
Gately's death has already easily clocked 2+ hours coverage today alone, celebrity culture really is the thing that needs to die here.

It never will sadly. I mean they are even reporting what other celebs are saying on twitter about it. Its made lazy journalism even lazier. With twitter it saves them even phoning up these 'celebs' they just go to the page and cut and paste. I hate twitter almost as much as this celeb culture :D

"Former Spice Girl EMMA BUNTON posted her condolences on social networking website Twitter.

She said: "Devastating news about Stephen Gately, I saw him Monday and had a chat, he was always such a sweetheart. Thinking of his family at this time."

X-Factor Judge DANNII MINOGUE also tweeted: "R.I.P. Stephen Gately."

BBC Radio 1 DJ FEARNE COTTON wrote on Twitter: "What sad sudden news about Stephen Gately. Thoughts go out to his family and friends."

Classical star KATHERINE JENKINS also took to Twitter, writing: "So so sad 2hear the news about Stephen Gately. We had a really fun night out with him at the Ivy Club a few weeks ago. Good memories 2 cherish."

TV presenters PHILLIP SCHOFIELD, VERNON KAYE and GAIL PORTER told of their shock at the news on Twitter too.

Phillip said: "My God. What terrible news to wake up to. Poor Stephen.

"My deepest condolences to his friends, family and fans. He was a really lovely guy."

RDM

RDM

Soldato
My nephew, Gavin Elliott was shot and killed in Helmand 4 weeks ago. He got about 5 mins coverage total on the news, his funeral got another 5 mins.

Same applies just about all of our boys dying for their country in that hellhole.

More people will have heard of Stephen Gately prior to his death than your cousin so it makes it more "newsworthy". Not making a judgement on it being right or wrong, but that is the reason.

Permabanned
RIP Stephen my thoughts go out to you and your family and friends...whatever the reason for your death...i hope we can all learn from it in a positive way R.I.P my friend

Soldato
not that it matters but his mass gayness was rediculously evident the momment he appeared on the telly.

33 is simply WAY too young for anyone regardless of whom they are. If its not some bum tangled gay drug fueld romp (as everyone seems to suspect) then to simply drop dead is terribly harsh and god bless his little pink shoes.

Horrible news, and not fair in any way. Hope he is in a way better place now. R.I.P.

Back
Top Bottom