Ripping TV episodes for plex

Caporegime
I want to rip my CSI Las Vegas DVDs to my Plex server but wondered what the best settings are to use for speed Vs quality Vs space as there are quite a lot of episodes!

I intend to use handbrake but open to other suggestions.

I have access to an i5 7200U with quick sync but I've heard that quick sync quality is somewhat inferior (and it doesn't appear to be able to do 2 pass encoding?).

Thanks

Soldato
If they are DVDs, I suggest two pass x265 @ 1000kbs (take longer then X264 ripping) and whatever audio you want. If you prefer X264(a fair bit faster to encode) then 1300kbs 2 pass. I use Staxrip with cuda (Nvidia gpu assist) which although not quite as good as quality as handbrake in picture quality, the time to encode a video is 6 times faster in general (a 1080p bluray to x265)

Soldato
I'm still not decided on x265 video yet, quality vs size is great but my plex server has to transcode it for nearly all devices whereas x264 is far less taxing. Probably going to upgrade the server soon so won't be an issue but worth considering if its running off a NAS or similar.

Remember to use Plex friendly naming as well, saves work later on.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220687-Naming-Series-Season-Based-TV-Shows
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220707-Naming-TV-Show-Specials-

Caporegime
OP
I've decided on using x264 (CPU encode),slow encode single pass with RF set to 19 and retaining the ac3 audio only.

Gives a file size of around 500-550MB an episode.

Last edited:
Soldato
My other reason for x265 is I use a Roku Premier plus (import and full 4k and HD support ) so it plays hevc direct play (so does the fire TV 4k but I find plex on fire tv glitchy) . My tvs do plex also with the on board apps but they do not have play next file which is a must for me.

Back
Top Bottom